More noob questions

1. How long it takes for the crash site to despawn? And the landed UFO, the one that lands by itself, how long will it stay landed? My game experience is not big enough to figure that out, got mixed results.

2. A question for you veterans who have played the game for 10+ game 'years', is there a point where you are overwhelmed by UFO spawning no matter what you do to prevent it? I had a half idea about postponing the end game scenario and enjoy playing the game in a sort of sandbox game, at least for a while.

Edited by BULIGO

1. I *think* it takes about 24 hours for a crash site to despawn. Landings are partially random, but last for a minimum of six or eight hours (I forget which).

2. Not really. The number of UFOs which can spawn late game is capped at 7+the number of alien bases (which will usually be 0 by that point). With a good number of Marauders at each base, that's perfectly manageable.

2. Not really. The number of UFOs which can spawn late game is capped at 7+the number of alien bases (which will usually be 0 by that point). With a good number of Marauders at each base, that's perfectly manageable.

Huh, nice to know, for some reason I thought those extra UFOs were tied to how many bases the player had. This makes more sense though.

Another question:

Other games that are similar to Xeno (like Jagged alliance for example) have formulas for developing each of the soldier's skills.

I know that, if I load my guys like donkeys their STR would get up a point per mission. How about 'boosting' the other skills? How to boost HP? TU? Bravery? Someone said that you can develop bravery only by medals and psi-attacks. I think at least one of my 'guys' levelled bravery without getting mind-bashed and he for sure did not kill anyone, not 5 baddies for sure.

Thanks.

Another question:

Other games that are similar to Xeno (like Jagged alliance for example) have formulas for developing each of the soldier's skills.

I know that, if I load my guys like donkeys their STR would get up a point per mission. How about 'boosting' the other skills? How to boost HP? TU? Bravery? Someone said that you can develop bravery only by medals and psi-attacks. I think at least one of my 'guys' levelled bravery without getting mind-bashed and he for sure did not kill anyone, not 5 baddies for sure.

Thanks.

You can find this in the game files:

<soldierDevelopment> <!-- Soldiers develop their attributes by using them. Each time the soldier performs a certain action, he will gain a "progress point" in that attribute. Once he reaches the "pointsToProgress" value, the attribute will increase by one point. These progress points are cumulative and are stored from mission to mission. --><APProgress       pointsToProgress="250" maxPointsInSingleBattle="500" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends a TU on a mission" /><strengthProgress pointsToProgress="20"  maxPointsInSingleBattle="20"  globalMaxProgress="98" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier moves one tile while carrying more than strengthCoeff percent of its maximum carry weight" /><accuracyProgress pointsToProgress="1"   maxPointsInSingleBattle="1"   globalMaxProgress="98" comment="Points are given when a soldier attempts to fire at a valid hostile enemy within weapon range * 1.5" /><reflexesProgress pointsToProgress="1"   maxPointsInSingleBattle="1"    globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is gained when a soldier performs a Reaction Fire test (it doesn't matter whether he passes or fails it)" /><braveryProgress  pointsToProgress="1"   maxPointsInSingleBattle="1"    globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned whenever a soldier panics in battle" /><resilienceProgress pointsToProgress="5" globalMaxProgress="97" comment="A progress points is earned every time the soldier gets a skillup in any other attribute" /> </soldierDevelopment>

However, in game experience shows that it's not fully accurate. I'm not aware of any other resource giving any hints for this though.

For example, raising strength should only require a certain percentage of the soldiers max weight to be varried, but at certain points you have to start overloading them or they get stuck.

However, in game experience shows that it's not fully accurate. I'm not aware of any other resource giving any hints for this though.

For example, raising strength should only require a certain percentage of the soldiers max weight to be varried, but at certain points you have to start overloading them or they get stuck.

So, to er..'boost' the stats I should aim at:

-running amok for 500 tiles = +2 TU. Looks funny: one loser camping the UFO doors and 7 adult and armed men chasing eachother around the block :)

-load my mul..soldiers until their TU is impaired +1 STR (max 20 per combat? huh?)

- shoot at an alien in weapon range behind concrete wall cover. Just once. +1 ACCU

-try to make the soldier get the interrupt/reflex shot. With some 30 reflex? good luck.

-get my soldiers panicked. How? Shoot my Colonel in the back? Just kidding. So medals are a bonus. Cool.

-Resilience? Is that Hitpoints?

Your reply is much appreciated, Steave. thanks. Was asking because I want my first playthrough to be a save/load wh**re, NEED to see how soldiers perform at max stats.

So, to er..'boost' the stats I should aim at:

-running amok for 500 tiles = +2 TU. Looks funny: one loser camping the UFO doors and 7 adult and armed men chasing eachother around the block :)

Moving a tile costs 3 TUs minimum, and it's the amount of TUs spent that matters. Combined with TUs spent on shooting etc, it should be a problem to get this maxed, at least after a while.

-load my mul..soldiers until their TU is impaired +1 STR (max 20 per combat? huh?)

Yeah, moving 20 tiles while overloaded should indeed give +1 strength

- shoot at an alien in weapon range behind concrete wall cover. Just once. +1 ACCU

Don't think it even needs to be in range :P

-try to make the soldier get the interrupt/reflex shot. With some 30 reflex? good luck.

Only needs to try it, doesn't have to succeed. Even if he doesn't get to reaction fire, a progress point is earner.

-get my soldiers panicked. How? Shoot my Colonel in the back? Just kidding. So medals are a bonus. Cool.

That's why bravery is so hard to level up. :(

-Resilience? Is that Hitpoints?

Indeed

Your reply is much appreciated, Steave. thanks. Was asking because I want my first playthrough to be a save/load wh**re, NEED to see how soldiers perform at max stats.

NP!

The target needs to be within x1.5 the maximum range for the weapon to count.

The wonky shot, must the target be in LOS or not? If not, might as well make a bonfire behind the UFO, sit down and just have one person keep the alien 'visible' for the rest of rookies plinking away, no matter if between them stands the indistructible UFO bulkhead?

Just asking, sometimes there are such weird formulas/algorythms running behind the scene...

Okay, I do understand, the game wasn't designed that way. I should hire people, let them fight and die if they must, then hire new ones. If a rookie needs months to grow up into a decent fighter, ironman mod would be almost impossible. Instead, we save/loaders can enjoy some slack due to the relative simplicity of improving the soldier's skills.

Can't help myself, after some time my 'guys' start to grow on me and I hate loosing them.

Edited by BULIGO