Arsenal Mod Thread

Lionheart2

Do you think you will play Arsenal with Xenonauts?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you will play Arsenal with Xenonauts?

• Yes
    • No

This is the Alpha release of my mod, Arsenal. The full version will be released in a month or two.

The final version will add many real weapons and change the existing ones to allow for more realistic armament options when equipping troops. Each weapon will have its own GUI and stock image, and if I can get assistance for modelling, larger weapons like the RPG will have their own ground images. There will also be balance changes to many different areas of the game.

Alpha changes:

Various balance changes in config xmls (full list in later versions)

Three new weapons, the Glock 17, Colt M1911, and the S & W Centennial(placeholder image). More will be added in the final version, but this is just a sample of what I've done so far.

Manufactures for the Glock and the M1911

More will be added later, of course, but right now I am trying to get support from the community and make sure that I have no bugs so far.

Download Alpha (fixed July 5th) at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s9mwy3hy1d989ng/5PhIWhMWzE

http://xeno-mods.com/mod/150/arsenal

Coming soon is a list of weapons that will be in the final version along with their statistics. There will be a much greater selection for your soldiers (Excel format):

Edited by Lionheart2
List

I have a question;

You have a number of pistols in this mod and I just wanted to figure out what was their functional difference/purpose.

what I mean by this with a series of similar weapons what is the tactical reason someone would select on over the other?

because as i looked at the files in your mod it seems more that the weapons simply escalate meaning that they make the previous iteration of a pistol become not worth using.

perhaps you could enlighten me on your thought process behind your design

His appears to be the large, realistic weapons mod.

The goal seems to be to provide a large arsenal of realistic weapons by name, where, If I remember the original plans for your mod, as you posted them, wraith, yours was a seamless integration of new weapon patterns into existing tiers.

Meanwhile, mine was a large expansion in the number, variety, and overlap of tiers.

Three weapon mods, with vastly different goals and execution.

well my mod is really to add or augment versatility within the existing context of the game without making any of the existing weapons worthless or meaningless unless they are fully being upgraded and thus get replaced completely.

however there is something in this mod that has caught my attention and that is a successful implementation of variable ballistic ammunition which he does with the .38 special

That right there helps me with an implementation issue for one of my future components. cause I was thinking that I would have to double down and create duplicate weapons for when a new ammunition became available but that example makes it easier to do some of the stuff i want to do

well my mod is really to add or augment versatility within the existing context of the game without making any of the existing weapons worthless or meaningless unless they are fully being upgraded and thus get replaced completely.

however there is something in this mod that has caught my attention and that is a successful implementation of variable ballistic ammunition which he does with the .38 special

That right there helps me with an implementation issue for one of my future components. cause I was thinking that I would have to double down and create duplicate weapons for when a new ammunition became available but that example makes it easier to do some of the stuff i want to do

Wait.

He got multi-ammo to work?

I need to read up his workaround.... I bet he made it *Technically* a rocket launcher.

*Edit*

Yep, it uses the rocket launchers XML structure, yet... It doesn't technically appear in weapons.XML, so... I might actually need to run it to see where the .357 ammo appears, since, according to the files, it really shouldn't appear anywhere...

He also has made the same alien armor blunder that I did.

Edited by WalrusJones

His XML is overall extremely similar to the working part of my multi-ammo XML, the only issue I have is that there is no polished way to add more then one ammo to the UI without doing something that would make navigating it a pain.

We have similar goals, but....

It looks like we both are at the same impasse, if I had to guess.

Edited by WalrusJones

well lets look at the mechanical function of those different ammo's

What is their functional difference from normal ammo for the same weapon. It is important to note that the ammo's should have identical damage as the normal ammunition since that is representative to the limitations of ballistics. (unless you are changing the mass of the round because mass * velocity remains largely unchanged in all forms of ammunition. If your thinking of going the "magnum" round these are rounds that only work for specially modified weapons as the round is increased in size.

That pretty much leaves Armor piercing(AP) Incendiary(I). which can be handled by changing mitigation level or damage type to incendiary I would also advise to use the Rocket ammo system as a template and make sure to set the isoverdamage to 0 otherwise your ammo with destroy the targets equipment when it kills them.

I did not include Hollowpoint and Explosive rounds for a couple of reasons

1) they are against the Geneva Convention and while that might not be allied to alien invaders it makes acquiring said ammunition more difficult

2) Mechanically Hollow point ammo would require a negative mitigation value since hollow point ammo has less penetration power then standard ammunition. don't know if the game will allow negative mitigation values. Explosive rounds are likewise difficult to do for the same reason explosive rounds are both notoriously unreliable (premature detonation or failure to detonate) and also have issues with accuracy due to center of mass issues with projectiles with dual material cores. plus the explosive value for HE rounds is negligible in terms of additional damage until you get into the 30mm range in round size.

So for both rounds your looking at reasonably a 5% increase in damage (ie pistol would only get a 1 point boost to damage) and the negative penetration could crash the game. and range is designated by the gun so not something that can be done with different ammo's.

as far as how to display them you would say displaying them in either equipment/rockets or equipment/other if explain to me more clearly what your variant ammo ideas are I will share mine.

The game refuses to put ammo in equipment other, or rockets from my testing...

The only way I have found to smuggle multi-ammo in is to clone weapon entries in items, and weapon_GC.xml, and make the weapon.xml file list the clones as having separate ammunition. (While making them accept all of them.)

This FLOOOOODS the weapons tab (Weapons in the rocket, or other tab cannot accept ammunition, as this causes a crash,) and makes keeping accurate and up to date animations VERY difficult.

I know another workaround, but this makes the XML flooded instead.

Regardless... We should stop talking about it in this thread, as it is reaching derailment levels.

Wait for the author to say something first.

Ok think I found the issue with getting things to show up in others and rockets. just need to test it

its in the weapons.XML file the Item Category column you have to manually type that field if you copy and paste it doesn't work

Edited by Wrath_IX
Found it

Ok think I found the issue with getting things to show up in others and rockets. just need to test it

its in the weapons.XML file the Item Category column you have to manually type that field if you copy and paste it doesn't work

You probably can copy paste, you just need to immediately make a modification afterwards in notepad++ using the file structure notification (As, XML files are TXT documents that can be read by excel.)

Edit:

Wait, stop.

You might get it to realize that its supposed to go in that tab, but putting items into either category that do certain things (Using magazines, or are ammo,) causes a catastrophic crash.

But... If it works, I will always be interested in seeing a screenshot of this, so I can start trying again.

Edited by WalrusJones

You have to use the weapons_gc.xml structure like that of the rocket I tested it with my ammo for the m202 and it worked just fine.

the trick is that you have to get the game to consider the ammo as a weapon of its own right but you have to do it for all the ammo for that weapon so both the standard ammo and any added ammo's will need to be outside of the tab

I saw how the GUI did not display both ammos at the same time as well... your posts are interesting and helpful. I think I will only allow the Centennial to use .38 ammunition in the later versions. I have two questions for WalrusJones, though?

1- What is this alien armor bug that you are talking about?

2- Would you be interested in working together to combine our two projects into one because they are very similar?

They are similar, with different goals.

The alien armor bug is that there IS no alien armor, currently, in vanilla xenonauts.

You have to use the weapons_gc.xml structure like that of the rocket I tested it with my ammo for the m202 and it worked just fine.

the trick is that you have to get the game to consider the ammo as a weapon of its own right but you have to do it for all the ammo for that weapon so both the standard ammo and any added ammo's will need to be outside of the tab

Well, My note earlier was that weapons can load OTHER WEAPONS as ammo.

Thus, replacing all secondary, tertiary, and on ammunition types with weapons that look like ammo is how you would do multi-ammo currently.

Edited by WalrusJones

Yeah... I now have ammo in the UI! Hooray!

It just crashes the game to click it.

Edit:

Working multi-ammo achieved.

Incredibly GHETTO multi-ammo (You must place your gun in your pocket to load alternate ammunition.)

Wait... Issues.

Edited by WalrusJones

see that where my mod goes... shaking things up and making them more interesting and adding tools for your team to adapt to the escalated changes :)

By the way I hate these Spectre.xml files for everything! will be glad once I am done with weapons so I never have to deal with these things again!

Edited by Wrath_IX
GRRRRRRRRR

well once I finish all these blasted spectre.xml files I will see if I can make it work for you. I have a feeling I know where your going wrong.

Ok do me a favor, post up a sample for each file you edited regarding your multiple ammo types and the weapons entries. include each file that you edited for the multiple ammo types so i can view it and see what you have so far

Edited by Wrath_IX