V21E5 Friendly fire suppression continues into next turn

The game doesn't know or care if the suppression was added by friendly fire, reaction fire from an enemy or whatever.

It just knows that it needs to last through your next turn.

Because the AP loss is either 50% reduction or nothing that means you pretty much have to take the bigger hit for being suppressed in your own turn.

In a system where suppression damage is linked to the amount of AP you lose then getting suppressed in your own turn has less of an effect in your next turn as you have had more time to heal the suppression damage.

That system was proposed but not adopted in favour of the more simplistic solution currently used.

To be fair though I don't really have much problem with someone who suppresses their own troops having to deal with the extra suppression.

I can see friendly fire being more demoralising than enemy fire so maybe the extra AP penalty is justified, it may even represent the time I would be spending hurling abuse at the friend who just nearly killed me :P

It also teaches players to be more careful where they fire and to really have to consider that risky shot that may suppress your own soldiers as well as the enemy.

If friendly suppression fire was removed prior to your next turn what about those times when some suppression was done by your own troops and some done by the enemy?

What about alien reaction fire in your turn causing suppression?

If friendly suppression fire only affected the alien turn then suppressing your own troops when they already have too few AP to fire a reaction shot in the alien turn has no real negative effect on them.