Dedicated bases for engineering

Ìn my current playthrough, which is like my fourth or fifth attempt at mastering Xenonauts, I started experimenting with different approaches to base design.

Instead of building an interceptor and chinook-base in month two, I built a base purely for manufacturing equipment, staffed with as many Engineers as I could afford (as well as Workshops and Living Quarters.

I'm in December now and it's actually working pretty good. I managed to get a full squads worth of laser weapons and Wolf armor much faster than I have previously been able to (not that it did me any good, Veteran difficulty is throwing all but impossible terror missions at me with alarming frequency.)

I placed my first base in Israel like I always do, and stuck the second on Cuba just for fun.

Have any of you guys done things differently to mix things up?

(This might have been a common tactic in the orginal XCOM games, I don't actually know since I never played them growing up)

Actually, you pretty much have to do things like this to win. You should also have research in side-bases, as well.

If you're getting this many terror missions, consider putting up more interceptor bases. (They can share space with the scientists and techs to save money, but be careful about them getting invaded.)

You only need two "squad" bases since even the Chinook has hammerspace fuel enough to fly all the way around the world. You need lots of radar coverage and interceptor bases to take out all the UFOs before they start terror missions or whatever.

Try making interceptor bases to cover basically every patch of land you possibly can. When you get enough money to blow, you can even start overlapping for extra protection. Don't skimp on radar coverage - that's how you know the aliens are coming. Knock those aliens out of the air before they can launch the terror missions. (Unless, you know, you want to do terror missions because they're fun.) The more ruthlessly you decimate all opposition, the more money you get to blow.

If you have research/manufacturing-only bases, put them next-door to the main or interceptor bases, so that if a landing ship comes for them, they're heading directly at your interceptors to do it.