[V18 Steam] Game freeze on alien incursion

First off, thanks for finally making a game that really has that original X-COM feel to it, I've been waiting for one ever since X-COM Apocalypse and being disappointed by many of the knock offs.

I played twice all the way to the point where the alien invasion escalates to an impossible level, having my first iron man attempt thwarted by infinite hidden movement bug and the second attempt ended due to multiple massive ships and interceptors shooting down most anything that lifts off, which lead me to decide to see what it takes to fight back. I then edited some tens of millions of dollars into a new game and built multiple bases around the globe...

Here's where the problems started: All went smoothly until at a certain point where the game started to inexplicably freeze in geoscape at certain times. I determined this to be due to predetermined times for alien invasions and having multiple UFOs being detected at the same time. I tried different methods to prevent the freeze from occuring, from dismantling some radars, to using different time warp speeds to reach the event time, none of which helped reliably on subsequent incursions or reloads.

Finally I noticed I could circumvent these freezes entirely by zooming close to an area of the map where no bases were visible and the UFOs would then spawn and get detected normally, allowing me to continue to a point where my bases started being attacked by multiple battleships almost every wave and having the game crash due to a known related base destruction bug.

The freeze doesn't stop music, but all visuals freeze and it ends up stressing a single CPU core to the max for an indefinite time, preventing exiting the game normally or with ALT+F4, requiring task manager to do the trick. If I could, I would attach a savegame where the freeze should occur within a few hours, but apparently as a new poster I get a forbidden error when clicking the attach button and a mere description is hardly useful =/

On a sidenote, I guess it's already known, but even if you build an entire base full of different anti-UFO defenses, only the first hit counts for damage or a miss and the subsequent hits merely mirror the numbers and percentages of damage or misses without actually doing anything. I also ran into the already submitted bug where defenses missed, but the UFO was somehow destroyed, leaving a notification window that can't be closed.

Upload the save to a file-sharing site (like dropbox) then post the link here.

Oh right, silly me I forgot I have a dropbox account.

Here it is

I tried a couple times before selecting the savegame (named E17) where it occurs most reliably and it still takes some coaxing, as the detection and spawn locations of the UFOs is quite random, so I had to load a couple different saves to get a new random seed that causes the lockup, but it should happen around 20:00-20:15 game time depending on time warp. If I had to guess, it has something to do with the overlapping radars, but how or why zooming in to an area without a base prevents the freeze is beyond me.