[V8.5 - Geoscape] Of Fighter Planes, Damage Repairs and Refuelling

The bug that initially sent me on this hunt was particularly tricky to nail down, due in part to a related issue I stumbled upon in the process. Here's the totality of what I found out, complete with a save state which should provide y'all with the opportunity to join me on a riveting journey to desktop!

Fighter planes shouldn't be and aren't able to lift off if they're beaten beyond 50 percent of their durability. Likewise, they stay grounded until their fuel tanks are at least half-full. So far, so good.

Stuff goes whack whenever a plane is concurrently somewhat slightly damaged (i.e. has more than 50% but less than 100% of its hit points intact) and low on kerosene. Launching a fighter that satisfies those conditions to random coordinates on the Geoscape appears to pose no threat to the game's stability: as soon as the bird of prey runs out of juice, a prompt window pops up, and it's back to base for maintenance.

Attempting to engage a UFO with one of them lame ducks, however, is hazardous and results in an instant crash to desktop.

Reproduction steps as follows: load up the save entitled "Inshreds3" and send the busted fighter plane on a mission to patrol remote airspace, Far East Asia will do fine. With any luck, the UFO circling above North Africa will still be on your radar when the MiG returns to base. As soon as it does, have it take on UFO-11. Presto, game over!

For bonus points, monitor the MiG's fuel level as it's on its way back and approaching the base. I've no idea whether the behaviour is intended or not, but it may run as low as -5%!

Oh, and here's the "related issue" part: taking a detour to Indochina is a required step to duplicating the bug, because, for reasons unknown, all planes' fuel levels are restored to their maximum values upon loading.

[ATTACH]311[/ATTACH]

Addendum: It's worth pointing out that all of the above applies to F-17s as well as MiGs.

magicmoment.jpg

Also, under certain conditions, which I've been unable to reproduce, the plane became uncontrollable en route to its destination, that is, all action buttons on its status window except for Cancel were greyed out.

Inshreds3.zip

magicmoment.jpg

Inshreds3.zip

magicmoment.jpg.112ed025fc897393ed981f25

Edited by iamkyon
Not so fast.