Soldier equipment... and its cost!

Starting with basic military build-up.

A soldier need to have Personal equipment, that is hes alone until killed, dismissed or he change his service function, in which case he will be re-equipped.

Global warfare is not fought with a single elite unit, but with armies... and usually the best equipped army wins... if the manpower goes with equipment.

It is nice, that the "armory" can "remember" the single soldiers equipment, but soldiers need to have their equipment on... unless they are on vacation.

In Xenonauts 2 the cost / soldier is close to the price of a fighter aircraft... in real life a soldier is cheap, but his military training is the winning factor... combined with his equipment.

And warfare is about destruction... if you can replace your losses, and your enemy cannot... YOU WIN.

A BASE has to be a selfsustained unit... and in this game THAT is extremely difficult, as the funding is greatly insufficient... or there is a bug in that part of the game.

The economy in this game is based on "peacetime economy", while the commander of the operations is fighting for basic survival!

You can't have it both ways!

The perfect computer-game will make it impossible to se the difference between Real Life and Game Life.

You are doing fine, but you could do better!

kindly Frank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 453074 said:

It is nice, that the "armory" can "remember" the single soldiers equipment, but soldiers need to have their equipment on... unless they are on vacation.

In X2, do the xenonauts return all their weapons to the warehouse if the xenonauts are not on the helicopter? (Can all soldiers who are sitting in reserve be "armed" with one laser rifle?)

9 hours ago, 453074 said:

A BASE has to be a selfsustained unit... and in this game THAT is extremely difficult, as the funding is greatly insufficient... or there is a bug in that part of the game.

There are no real difficulties in the game. (Aliens are easy to defeat in battles on earth and in battles in the sky). But there must be difficulties and problems in the game that make the player think. Therefore (I assume so) the developers decided to create difficulties and problems with financing.

11 hours ago, Komandos said:

There are no real difficulties in the game. (Aliens are easy to defeat in battles on earth and in battles in the sky). But there must be difficulties and problems in the game that make the player think. Therefore (I assume so) the developers decided to create difficulties and problems with financing.

If that is the case, that the enemy is too easy??? Maybe you should make access to alien tech more difficult, as destroyed alien tech gives no research option.

And alien interrogation could also be on a broader level, as there are pilots and engineers + other specimens, that might yield usefull information.

The most impressive part of X-COM games were the research and the unknown outcome... and how long it would take to make a breakthrough.

Here; it is on an exact timescale, which is another bad choice, when you are dealing with ALIENS!!!

Or has the meaning of "ALIEN" become so trivial, that the imagination has left the game completely???

I am very disappointed.

kindly Frank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 453074 said:

If that is the case, that the enemy is too easy??? Maybe you should make access to alien tech more difficult, as destroyed alien tech gives no research option.

The game does not provide an option that aliens defeat the player on the battlefield. Or the option that the aliens are defeating the player due to the faster development of technology. There is an option in the game that the aliens defeat the player only economically. (The player's victory or defeat depends on the effectiveness of economic management.)

For me, a more interesting option is when a player loses because he has incorrectly prioritized research. (The player made a mistake in choosing the direction for research, as a result of which he lost a lot of time).

It is better to limit access to alien technologies in the following way: if the player arrives on a combat mission later than a few hours, and also: if the combat mission lasts more than a given number of moves (rounds), then the aliens manage to destroy their most important technologies. As a result: without important alien technologies, the player's scientific progress slows down.

4 hours ago, Komandos said:

The game does not provide an option that aliens defeat the player on the battlefield.

I must admit, that I was surprised by this statement... I still remember my first tactical battle in Xenonauts 1, where a sebilan crew of a scout ship wiped out my entire squad with ease.

There is no doubt, that the tactical skill of the player on the battlefield is decisive for the outcome, but crews on ufos are standard... as crews on aircraft is in real life. They are trained to fly

an aircraft... not much more. UFOs with an assault team is also an option, but the total crew will almost be of some sort of standard size... depending of the mission.

kindly Frank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 453074 said:

I must admit, that I was surprised by this statement... I still remember my first tactical battle in Xenonauts 1, where a sebilan crew of a scout ship wiped out my entire squad with ease.

I also remember my first fight in UFO:1 where several (2-3) surviving aliens completely killed my entire team of 14 soldiers.

In Xenonauts 1, I had battles in which my soldiers completely destroyed themselves on their own. (Friendly fire, suppression, a grenade thrown at oneself and comrades' feet).

Also in the game Xenonauts 1 there were very poor settings: the range of visibility, the range of weapons, which forced them to play very slowly and walk in dense crowds, exposing soldiers to the risk of being killed by "friendly fire". As a result: I continue to play the game with my own settings.

As a result: the battles in Xenonauts 1 were difficult only because they forced the player to use boring tactics, and the greatest threat was not the aliens, but the player's own soldiers.

• Confused 1