Space Race in X2 Lore?

It's technically more of a discussion than suggestions to the devs, as this is still a revolving thought myself.

As the lore itself is about aliens and their intervention with human technology and politics, it would be reasonable to assume that in this timeline alien/cleaners also tweaked with human space technologies, though it's not covered in lore much and frankly I'm not really sure about how to integrate such lore ingame either, as we're fighting mostly within the atmosphere.

As the alien presence was kept secret by the Cleaners for decades I'll assume that the major tipping point of Cold War history would be the assasination of Gorbachev in '89-91-ish as shown at the beginning, by that time most of the crazy Cold War Space Projects (Star Wars, Soviet Crewed Lunar Missions, weaponized satellites.etc) were already closed, Though some other projects may still having questionable future, like the Space Shuttles from both sides, specifically the Soviet ones, and also the ISS, or even proposed Space Planes (or even SpaceX but it's too early for 2009).

How may Cleaners and Aliens change the history of Space development? Did they deliberately sabotage the Space Missions, lingering the human Space development slower than what we did in OTL 2009? Or did space technologies being more advanced than real life, as the reality of increasing aggression forced both US and Soviet engaging a more advanced (i.e. Moon Settlement & Mars Exploration like in For All Mankind) and aggressive (Weaponized satellites and Shuttles) Second Space Race since the late 80s? 

How would space technologies affect the alien lores? Would the astronauts/cosmonauts in ISS (or Moon?) becoming the first witnesses or even victims of alien/Cleaner incursion, warning Earth about first contact before the game starts? Would the results of years of space research attributes to the development of Xenonauts technology?

How would the continuation of Cold War help the Space development for secondary countries, like China, EU, Japan, India, UK... on their technologies?

Currently I'm just having some fragmented thoughts, but.I guess It'll be interesting if the lore talks about how space technologies would be affected in such setting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, EurekaSeven said:

It's technically more of a discussion than suggestions to the devs, as this is still a revolving thought myself.

As the lore itself is about aliens and their intervention with human technology and politics, it would be reasonable to assume that in this timeline alien/cleaners also tweaked with human space technologies, though it's not covered in lore much and frankly I'm not really sure about how to integrate such lore ingame either, as we're fighting mostly within the atmosphere.

As the alien presence was kept secret by the Cleaners for decades I'll assume that the major tipping point of Cold War history would be the assasination of Gorbachev in '89-91-ish as shown at the beginning, by that time most of the crazy Cold War Space Projects (Star Wars, Soviet Crewed Lunar Missions, weaponized satellites.etc) were already closed, Though some other projects may still having questionable future, like the Space Shuttles from both sides, specifically the Soviet ones, and also the ISS, or even proposed Space Planes (or even SpaceX but it's too early for 2009).

How may Cleaners and Aliens change the history of Space development? Did they deliberately sabotage the Space Missions, lingering the human Space development slower than what we did in OTL 2009? Or did space technologies being more advanced than real life, as the reality of increasing aggression forced both US and Soviet engaging a more advanced (i.e. Moon Settlement & Mars Exploration like in For All Mankind) and aggressive (Weaponized satellites and Shuttles) Second Space Race since the late 80s? 

How would space technologies affect the alien lores? Would the astronauts/cosmonauts in ISS (or Moon?) becoming the first witnesses or even victims of alien/Cleaner incursion, warning Earth about first contact before the game starts? Would the results of years of space research attributes to the development of Xenonauts technology?

How would the continuation of Cold War help the Space development for secondary countries, like China, EU, Japan, India, UK... on their technologies?

Currently I'm just having some fragmented thoughts, but.I guess It'll be interesting if the lore talks about how space technologies would be affected in such setting.

I believe, that the game could accent the cold war more in general. On one hand, the world nations unite to fend off an alien invasion, on the other, the technological leap caused by reverse engineering would rise tensions between the power blocks and could lead to WW3. So the organization would have to navigate between them and keep all sides content in order to keep the bases, funding, manpower etc..