Reaper

On 8/17/2023 at 2:09 PM, doubleskulls said:

The civilian or soldier turned into a zombie has died (it is possible to be wounded by a Reaper, and not be infected). Maybe having something that could stop a zombie turning into a Reaper? TBH they are so weak right now I wouldn't want them nerfed. 

Agree. The ones infected are already dead bodies, only serving as larvae nourishment until the finished reaper pops out. 

What I am wondering about is how are reapers interrogated, when in xenopedia they are described as insectoid by nature with rudimentary swarm inteligence only...

I would also prefer them not being humanoid (bipedal), but more insectiod-ish in appearance, resembling ants, scorpions or other insectoid critters (spider-ish even perhaps), fast and deadly hunters, perhaps spitting paralyzing venom on short distances as well and making cocoons ofcthe victims until these are turned into new ones... that would make them terrifying.

And instead of making them deadlier in combat as some suggestions say, I would rather give them more TU's so that their "inhuman speed" around the bettlefield would become very palpable. It would turn them deadly, covering long distances and delivering multiple attacks.

2 hours ago, Raffik said:

And instead of making them deadlier in combat as some suggestions say, I would rather give them more TU's so that their "inhuman speed" around the bettlefield would become very palpable. It would turn them deadly, covering long distances and delivering multiple attacks.

If the Reapers are given more AP (Action Points), then all soldiers on the battlefield should be given a larger radius of vision. When a unit jumps out "from over the horizon", manages to get close and deliver several fatal blows, then it makes no sense to build a "front line" of soldiers. Such a "front line" will require a lot of soldiers or very powerful weapons.

In one of the mods of the game "OpenXcom" there was a modified unit (Chryssalid), which had a huge range. The player had to line up 14 soldiers in two tight ranks (the first row is sitting, the second row is standing) to stop this enemy unit with dense fire. And do not move from the spot until all the Chryssalids through many moves (turn) themselves run out to ambush. Of the 14 soldiers, only 6-8 soldiers opened the "reaction shooting". Of these: only 3-4 hit the enemy.

At the beginning of the game, the player has only 8-9 soldiers. Only 4-5 will be able to shoot at the reaction. Only 2-3 people will be able to hit the target. And if the Reaper jumps out on a squad of 4 soldiers, then he must be killed with one shot.

Edited by Komandos

2 hours ago, Komandos said:

the Reapers are given more AP (Action Points), then all soldiers on the battlefield should be given a larger radius of vision. When a unit jumps out "from over the horizon", manages to get close and deliver several fatal blows, then it makes no sense to build a "front line" of soldiers. Such a "front line" will require a lot of soldiers or very powerful weapons.

Fair point. However I am not talking about a reaper with huge range. Having slightly more TU (now it has 60, so lets say 70-75) would make it a major threat on the battlefield, which should be its purpose shouldn't it...

The current fear factor of the reaper for me is in numbers - reaper and a bunch of zombies or multiple reapers together - almost a regular sight in terror missions or base defense,  mostly at medium range, and has to be taken out with priority. Luckily, it is not particularly sneaky.

It can be double shot to death in most cases (60 HP) in my experience with X2 so far. It also has only average reflexes (50), so reaction shots against it are fired very often before it can react or attack (but if a soldier runs into it at the end of a turn with no TU left, he is inevitably facing an unpleasant demise)

image.thumb.png.f301196edc641fc31debe919c829335c.png

I would increase the HP of both soldiers and aliens to make the battles go for a bit longer, especially when armor is worn or dealing with armored aliens. And on top of it I would let med kit heal the infection as long as it didn't go for more than 3 turns.