Are Quantum Labs worth it?

So in my quest to run the numbers and understand how that may influence some strategic choices then one of the questions is about the value of the upgrades. Quantum labs are a $500k upgrade which increases every scientists contribution from 5% more research to 7.5% more research. Simply put, yes its worth it. 2 quantum labs produces about the same amount of research as 3 regular labs (90% more research vs 95%), at a slightly higher initial price ($2.05m vs $1.725m) but substantially lower running costs $195k p/m less - so after 2 months you break even, and after that you are getting the same amount of research cheaper. 

The primary difference is the wages of the scientists themselves. The 7 additional scientists in the 3rd lab are costing $175k p/m in wages, on top of which you save on lab maintenance and needing fewer living quarters, and less power. 

At least at the moment I think the research is pretty fast - on my recent run through I didn't get the upgrade, but after building my 3rd lab in month 2 I'd completed all the research by day 200 ish. Next game I'm thinking to have 2 labs but take the quantum lab upgrade as soon as I feel I need the boost. 

• Like 1

Didn't do the math, however in practice I think I will accept what you write. Thing is in my own game, 128B, I found them a few months before the game reached an inglorious end, just as I was preparing for an advanced Guard armour, I saw the graphic, read the incredibly well written description, yet there was no armour to be build in the manufactory at the base.

I think I will keep at it, maybe, just maybe I can learn how to shoot them aliens down. (Mostly auto). Here's hoping to the best ever xcom air combat ( the one that we are supposedly gonna get, not the one currently ingame, even if it beats what's out there, with Project Phoenix slightly behind.

Oh well, Haven't finished vol. 1. Maybe it's high time that I did.