HEVY maybe should have a longer range than regular grenades.

The HEVY's effective range is barely longer than a 70 strength soldier can throw a grenade. One of the reasons to have a grenade launcher is so you can shoot explosive or smoke grenades at a significantly farther distance than a human could just throw. The main downside should really only be that you can't arc the HEVY's projectile over close by terrain like how you can toss a grenade over a wall you're next to. I'd suggest that a soldier with maxed out strength should probably still not be able to compare with the HEVY in terms of sheer distance. Otherwise, it feels slightly not worthwhile to load a soldier down with that when you can just give them a regular rifle and some hand grenades.

Edited by Serious Sponge
  • Like 3

I agree more range would help. Right now I think you'd be better off with a high strength soldier with a pistol and grenades, than the HEVY. Also the grenades themselves aren't powerful enough and the upgrades are quite a long way off. Maybe giving the HEVY more penetration or destruction compared to regular grenades would help to make them worthwhile. 

• Like 1

I didn't use HEVY after the first couple of testing missions. The main issue to me was the inaccuracy of the launcher.

I'm not sure if moving would decrease its accuracy, but well moving didn't decrease the accuracy of throwing at lease. A HEVY soldier in team generally has less than 40% accuracy when firing at long range, while a grenade thrower has more than 50%, in my own experience.

Also, the aliens didn't bunching up in most of the time, saving for inner UFO, in which scenario I would not use explosive anyway. Demo charge's much much better in destroying obstacles. So the usage of HEVY was narrow.

4 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

Well in my army days, I fired an M203 and a M79, and I was able to put a 40mm grenade into a couple of large truck tires, from 200 meters, so you should be able to fire the HEVY further than what it is doing in the game. 

I think currently, the grenade throw range's a little bit too long, comparing to gun range.

Grenades right now are restricted by the vertical space in the area, since they need a big arc to throw far. The HEVY's straight trajectory allows you to launch grenades at its max range no matter if there's a ceiling above you or not. And then the HEVY is restricted by the fact that it can't arc basically, so you can't get enemies that are behind full cover as easily. But yeah, it should also probably at least take a soldier with max strength to compare with the distance the HEVY can launch as well, since all it takes to beat the HEVY in terms of distance is 70 Strength, which allows you to throw a hand grenade exactly 1 tile further.

Edited by Serious Sponge

On 7/31/2023 at 11:28 PM, doubleskulls said:

I agree more range would help. Right now I think you'd be better off with a high strength soldier with a pistol and grenades, than the HEVY. Also the grenades themselves aren't powerful enough and the upgrades are quite a long way off. Maybe giving the HEVY more penetration or destruction compared to regular grenades would help to make them worthwhile. 

yes agree fully. Also the HEVY could use a range of 20 tiles ans 2 types of ammo - explosives, that fire in arch up to 20 tiles and flechette, which fire in direct line with range of 10 tiles like a shotgun (with more power and spread than a shotgun)

Btw. has anyone an idea, why the rocket launcher was not implemented? It was in X1..