What triggers crash site victory?

In the game manual
4.1 MISSION TYPES / OBJECTIVES
The mission objective in a Crash site is to eliminate all alien units in the mission, or to clear the UFO
of all aliens and keep a soldier inside it for five turns.

Yet I recently had a victory trigger without ever breaching the UFO - 10/11 aliens were killed (I only killed 3 Androns by hand)

I blasted open the bridge doors of the UFO a couple turns earlier, my best guess is that there were no aliens inside, and I had line of sight into the spacecraft which counted as "keeping a soldier inside it"?

Just wondering cos this could be infuriating if I was trying to drag some weapons or corpses back to my dropship.

9x Andron Guard + 2x Light Drone corpse/wrecks recovered, so looks like all 11 enemies were dead.

Are enemies killed by environment effects or local forces counted towards the 'Aliens Killed' counter? Possibly the last enemy was taken down by fire or a policeman/farmer/soldier. Seems a bit unlikely that that would kill an Andron, but drones are fragile enough that it seems plausible.

If this was organic enemies I'd be wondering if one went unconscious because of smoke, but that's not going to be the case here.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's one of two reasons that I dropped that theory. The enemies are robots who don't take stun damage anyway, and it'd be in the summary (and isn't).

Don't underestimate the local forces in this game - there are plenty of stories about the Xenonauts coming round a corner to see a farmer standing over a literal pile of corpses. Dudes are hardcore. (IIRC it's a quirk of the turn system - local forces reset their TUs just before the alien turn, so their reaction-fire is always at max efficiency even when they acted last round. Most noticeable with the shotguns that farmers carry, but a policeman could still definitely pick up a kill or two)

• Haha 1

Ah interesting about the TU. I really only know mechanics about this game from experience, and reading the game manual.

The other thing that can occur, aided by an overwatch advantage; is the police officers getting good shots in through buildings and through two windows, and the andron could be firing and missing at another civilian NPC

• 7 months later...

HEllo everyone

In most strategy games, a crash site win occurs when a player effectively eliminates all opponents by bringing down their aircraft. It's the exciting conclusion of strategic strategy and execution, which frequently leads to intense gaming moments and rewarding victories.

Edited by sarika78