Map layout preview before mission setup

I guess we have a fundamental difference of opinion if you think your interceptors would shoot down a UFO and then you would wait many hours to dispatch a force to the location because you need to send some other guys first to find out exactly where the UFO crashed.

It seems to me that any commander that sends his troops out there blindly is being irresponsible if not negligent.

There are obviously maps and other types of navigational aids available or else how are dropship pilots managing to navigate out to the crash site and back to base?

I find it hard to believe that the squad has no idea what the terrain is like when debarking the dropship.

• Like 1

That's exactly it. We have maps. We have pilots who have witnessed the crash event. There is going to be evidence in the air still in the form of smoke and debris. Even if they don't know precisely where the ship is, they will have an idea of where it should be that is far smaller than "a few miles radius." The ship will be smoking, it will have left a trail of debris to follow. it doesn't crash straight down unless it fell straight down into the Earth. And as I said, they had unmanned drones to search back then as well, so having some photography of the sight is not unheard of.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chthon said:

That's exactly it. We have maps. We have pilots who have witnessed the crash event. There is going to be evidence in the air still in the form of smoke and debris. Even if they don't know precisely where the ship is, they will have an idea of where it should be that is far smaller than "a few miles radius." The ship will be smoking, it will have left a trail of debris to follow. it doesn't crash straight down unless it fell straight down into the Earth. And as I said, they had unmanned drones to search back then as well, so having some photography of the sight is not unheard of.

I guarantee you that when today's fighter pilots shoot down enemy planes and return to base they don't know where the plane came down with an accuracy of less than a few miles. It's just not true at all. Your point that it doesn't fall straight down is exactly the point, even if you know its exact position when your weapon impacted it, which you don't, it's still moving at high speed and you don't know exactly where it comes down.

It seems like you're just deeply attached to this profoundly wrong idea and there's nothing that's going to shake your attachment to it.

8 hours ago, alsuave said:

I find it hard to believe that the squad has no idea what the terrain is like when debarking the dropship.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHAT THE SQUAD KNOWS WHEN EXITING THE DROPSHIP.

THE ENTIRE THREAD IS ABOUT WHAT THE PLAYER KNOWS WHEN LOADING THE DROPSHIP, THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY.

10 hours ago, DaviddesJ said:

I guarantee you that when today's fighter pilots shoot down enemy planes and return to base they don't know where the plane came down with an accuracy of less than a few miles. It's just not true at all. Your point that it doesn't fall straight down is exactly the point, even if you know its exact position when your weapon impacted it, which you don't, it's still moving at high speed and you don't know exactly where it comes down.

It seems like you're just deeply attached to this profoundly wrong idea and there's nothing that's going to shake your attachment to it.

It's been over 20 years since the last time an aircraft shot down another aircraft in combat. If it ever happens again, they probably will want to take a look at the crash site - mission and fuel permitting. They might even be required to do so if a parachute came out of it.

But we're talking about a high-value alien vehicle here. Part of the mission will certainly be to track where it ends up. Especially if it goes down over a populated area.