[v13.2 ground combat] Combat shield shields holder from first aid kit

Definitely in the amusing rather than game destroying category.

I've found that using the first aid kit on my shield carrying pistol holder failed to heal. Discovered that I needed to apply first aid while shield holder was facing away from the first aid carrier.

I suspect that the mechanic with first aid is: thrown projectile from adjacent box. Automatic hit, but otherwise treated in the same way. Damage is negative (i.e. is added to the target rather than subtracted).

In this case is the shield also being healed in a similar way? I suspect it is. I think Chris said that the shield has 80 hit points - but as we can't check its status I couldn't confirm whether this was the case.

First aid can be supplied from a diagonal box that is partially obscured by cover. Would this partial cover also limit first aid?

[bTW at version 13.1, there were some missions where the pistol holder was carrying the riot shield and some missions where it was just the pistol and grenade (as was standard pre-version 13). I haven't managed to play as much with 13.2 to confirm this (due to the fatal exception error in sister thread), but the shield was used in all 3 missions I did play. I am really enjoying playing with the shield - it makes breaching ship interiors much easier (too easy?). ]

I think (was it reading the release notes?) that the ground shield is automatically equiped to any squadie who's primary weapon is the pistol. It is just there (or not) when you start a ground mission (You can't see it in the soldier screen accessed from the base tabs).

At 13.1 it was hit and miss (some missions would carry it, some wouldn't). At 13.2, of the 7 missions I tried (4 crashes, 3 successful) the 3 missions I could play all equiped a shield to my pistol carrier. Try the quick battle, with any luck the pistol carrier should have one there too.

I've tried to replicate this bug and cannot do so. With both the shield damaged and the soldier damaged I've been able to heal him from multiple angles despite him facing the medic. Is it only in a certain saved game that this bug is happening or only certain cells of the map?

Also, can't you just look at the shield icon and confirm the status of the shield's hps. Mine shows x/120 where the ammo amount would be for a weapon. I've been assuming that's the shield's hps since it goes down when the soldier carrying it takes fire from that direction.....

Hi Legandian - I don't have the save file to try and replicate (at one stage deleting saves was seen as a work around for the ground combat crashes). Interesting that you can't replicate it.

Thanks also for pointing out where the HP is listed. I'd not thought to look there.