Replacing/unlocking items with research

SoulFilcher

It isn't exactly a bug, but it is something that could be looked at. Currently it is not possible to replace an item without unlocking it in the process. I have an item (A) that is unlocked by research (X), then I made a research (Y) that replaces A with B, but doesn't unlock it, this way research X would still be required to unlock A or B.

Maybe the CE team could take a look and see if this change is possible? Simply if A wasn't unlocked then B isn't when it replaces A. I don't think it affects any of the items in vanilla so it shouldn't cause trouble.

There's a kind of work-around for this. If you set up a third research project (Z) with a research cost of 0, and make both X and Y prerequisites, you can then attack the upgrade A->B to the new project Z. That will mean that the upgrade will only occur when you complete both X and Y.

However, for this to work you need to either tolerate a 24 hour delay on the new tech, or else reduce the time-to-complete for auto-projects to 0 (which would mean that autopsies get completed instantly; not game-breaking but you might not like it).