Trouble Viewing and Editing the XML files

I've been wanting to tinker with the game's assets a little bit (specifically, increase the sale value on Alien Tech. Yeah, yeah, breaking the economy -- sorry, but the world should be giving a profit for the only available weapons that can stand up to the aliens).

However, I'm running into a snag opening the .xml files in OpenOffice. Whenever I open the files, all it does is open a blank spreadsheet. I tried opening it with other means, such as google docs, and that reveals difficult-to-read HTML style text.

I could use Microsoft XML opener but that's only a trial program that I do not look forward to paying for. What programs should I use to view the XMLs, and if I have the proper ones, how do I properly do so?

UPDATE: Oh!... That's weird, it seems OpenOffice is able to open some xmls just fine, but not others. It can't open the Manufacture one, but it can open the items xml just fine.

Edited by Larchus

Are you trying to mod vanilla game files or files which themselves have come from a mod? Some mods have edited spreadsheet .xml files in a text editor and not updated the number of lines in the file, therefore making them impossible to open with things like Excel/OpenOffice (although actually I didn't think OpenOffice could open them at all).

I just modded the vanilla files. Kind of thought the whole "unable to sell alien tech for a profit" thing was, well, kind of horseshit. So I changed it.

And yes, while what you say seems true, I am not sure which mods I have that edit Manufactures in such a way. Many of them are yours, by the way! Good stuff!

While the edit seems to function, I think I broke my save files, which is entirely my fault. Oh well!