Should I go for a High risk mission?

I have this dilemma, I'm playing a decent Insane iron man run (I haven't lost any continents and took out three bases in two months) and have recently shot down my first battleship in march. Yet when I assaulted a carrier I lost three good men to alpha reapers. Most of the plasma weapons they had are gone and I had to resort to laser weaponry (mostly a scatter laser) to fill the gaps. Yet I also have two rail rifles and a Scimitar tank with plasma cannon. I also had to fill the gap in my ranks with rookies, well now corporals after a successful assault against an andron carrier (One rookie killed five Androns).I would love to have the materials and a chance to capture a Praetor, but I fear it would wipe my whole force. Now I'm trying to wonder should I should try to try to take it or jut airstrike it?

Do you have an immediate need for something from the ship? If not, the efficient thing to do is skip it. I prefer to only ever do one battleship.

If you control the skies, you pretty much can't lose the game though, so all ground losses are recoverable, so I'd do whichever seems more fun.

If you already have air dominance, just airstrike the battleships until you have decently experienced soldiers (at least Captain if you can afford the wait.) and plenty of MAG weapons.

How did you avoid losing any continents? In my run I always tend to lose South America and Australia. What is your base setup?

Strange question. Are you not aware of the possibility to retreat from a mission if things go badly?

It’s more of a "What would you do in my situation" type questions. Yes, I did a tactical withdrawal (I ran with my tail between my legs) during the aforementioned reaper rush

Do you have an immediate need for something from the ship? If not, the efficient thing to do is skip it. I prefer to only ever do one battleship.

If you control the skies, you pretty much can't lose the game though, so all ground losses are recoverable, so I'd do whichever seems more fun.

Thanks for your opinion, and I've been controlling the skies since late November with the occasionally up tiered ship catching me by surprise but he’s easily dealt with.

If you already have air dominance, just airstrike the battleships until you have decently experienced soldiers (at least Captain if you can afford the wait.) and plenty of MAG weapons.

How did you avoid losing any continents? In my run I always tend to lose South America and Australia. What is your base setup?

Again thanks for the opinion, I think I know what I should do, even though I will lose some resources.

Luck, the aliens attacked inside my radar range and the ones that didn't weren't terror/ base building ships, on the ground level mostly mass stun grenades machine gunners and tanks made sure I suppressed/killed most aliens and never making any risky shots.

I have three bases (located in Greece, Florida and china) with 2/3 radar systems each and with two marauders/foxtrots with one corsair in each base (I usually left one condors in one base to deal with early game fighters, there useless when the heavy fighter squadrons come in). Two of the bases have soldiers with them, one in Greece which I use for almost all my missions and the other one in Florida which is a secondary force to take one scouts/smaller UFOs and the last having four batteries to defend it. Two workshops in two of bases (Both in the bases with troops). Two bases with labs, one have two of them (Greece and china). Two garages with hunters/Scimitars in them. I don’t have medical center or a Cryptology Center in them yet though.