Modular System Help

MortuusSum

Hey, folks. Like the title says, I need some help with the Modular Modding System for X:CE. I've been trying on and off to figure it out for a couple weeks now, and I'm stuck.

Just to get a feel for things, I've been trying to make Slayerjerman's mod Economy Restored work with the modular system, mostly because the things it changes are all fairly simple, and composed mainly of XML spreadsheets, which according to the documentation and tutorial threads seem really easy to change. Anyway, I tried sticking it into the game with the modding tools, and with 0.27 that works fine. When I launched the game, though, the mechanical changes weren't present; that is to say, weapons and gear were still infinite, and the manufactures to create them did not exist. Of the three XML files in the mod, only strings.xml was used as intented; I was able to confirm this by changing the weapon names.

If I understand the tutorials correctly, all I need do for an entry in a spreadsheet to be changed is include the first column of that entry, and the column to be modified, which I have done, apparently to no avail. Apart from the three xml files, the only other thing in the folder is a lua file taken directly from Slayerjerman's original mod.

Sorry for a long-ish post, but I'm out of ideas, and I'm really hoping someone can tell me what/where I messed this one up. File is attached below.

EDIT: Après-post paranoia has struck! Inb4 obvious fix and I am dumb at everything forever. Please don't be too vicious, gentlemen and ladies.

ERM.zip

ERM.zip

ERM.zip

Edited by MortuusSum

Ok, I've not tried these but I think I might know where you're problems are:

1) Items.xml isn't loading because it's using the vanilla items.xml file rather than the XCE one. XCE has changed the items file to add an extra column for storage size (for if people want to play around with limited storage) and this means you need to use the XCE items file as a base instead.

2) I'm not 100% certain, but I think the problem with the manufactures file is related to the coloured rows. Where I've seen this before, the fact that the colouring extends beyond the columns the game uses causes issues with the mod loader. Try cutting all of the columns and pasting them in another workbook. Then go back to the first workbook, select all and delete rows. And finally put the columns you moved back in the first workbook. That will make everything fit within the space the game is using, and hopefully will sort the issue.

If you don't mind taking another look, I've run into something else; all the weapons and ammunition work fine (appear as limited amounts, and can be manufactured) with the exception of frag rockets, which cannot be manufactured and does not appear in the soldier equip screen. Similarly unavailable are all grenades that should be there at the game's start (frag, flash, and smoke) and combat shields. Medipacks appear in the equip menu but cannot be built. I've been looking at the items.xml and manufactures.xml files and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm still working on it, but if anyone gets a chance, some more help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I have figured out that there is definitely something wrong with manufactures.xml, a minor change caused the entire document to not work (no weapons appeared as manufacturable). To clarify, that minor change was retyping the entry for frag rockets by hand in Notepad++ (as opposed to Microsoft Excel, which I had been using previously).

Z-ERM.zip

Z-ERM.zip

Z-ERM.zip

Edited by MortuusSum

Ok, after some hunting I've found where the problem is. But I have no idea why.

The particle beam ammo project and the plasma rocket project are what are causing the problem. In the modinfo log, it's saying that the number of columns doesn't match. But this doesn't make any sense, since I can't see why it applies to those two projects and not any of the others.

I've tried everything I can think of, including literally rewriting those lines from scratch, and the error persists. This implies that it's a problem with the vanilla file in some way which is incompatible with the mod merger. No idea what that should be (it doesn't look any different than any of the others) but I've got nothing.

The only thing I can think of to deal with this is to create duplicates of those two items and use them instead. It's a workaround, and it will take effort to sort out, but I'm all out of ideas as to why this isn't working.