CTD with modular mods

Fucille

So I've been away from the scene for a while and then came back to find there is finally a system for modding that doesn't involve overwriting game files. For the hell of it, I decided I'd try adding a new weapon as best as I could remember how, being the MA5D from Halo. I went through the step by step, loaded it in the xenonauts modding tools menu, the game starts fine, but when I go to the soldier equipment menu to check it out, the game instantaneously crashes to desktop. I have no frigging idea what's wrong with it, so could someone else take a look?

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

Oh my god never mind. I feel so retarded. The texture name in weapons.xml was wrong.

Now with that out of the way, the game crashes to desktop as soon as I start ground combat with the rifles equipped.

Edited by Fucille

Oh my god never mind. I feel so retarded. The texture name in weapons.xml was wrong.

Now with that out of the way,

It's not ouf of the way in the .zip you posted. If you want somebody to look at the second problem, post a testcase that actually reproduces it.

Just tried adding the files you posted and once I fixed the soldier equip screen crash it works in ground combat without crashing.

The weapon image doesn't display on the main gc ui but that could be due to the size of the image itself, it is nearly 3 times the dimensions and 10 times the file size of the vanilla ones. Maybe the ui just can't load it up?

Edited by Gauddlike

In the weapons.xml file it was referencing the ballistic1 folder when the folder was actually called ballistic 1 (with a space). After correcting that, it no longer crashes in the equip screen. I've just tried resizing it down and it still causes ground combat to crash if anyone has it equipped. How exactly would I go about posting a "test case"? Like a save file or what?

it still causes ground combat to crash if anyone has it equipped.

Sat Aug 09 09:49:51 2014: MOD ERROR: Element without MODMERGE has both children and attributes: Sound

Sat Aug 09 09:49:51 2014: MOD ERROR: Merging XML for sounds_gc.xml from mod mods/tt/ failed.

Sat Aug 09 09:49:56 2014: MOD ERROR: Element without MODMERGE has both children and attributes: Weapon

Sat Aug 09 09:49:56 2014: MOD ERROR: Merging XML for weapons_gc.xml from mod mods/tt/ failed.

In short, you're using the old-style way of modifying game files and then slapping the new file over it, even if "using the modular system", instead of actually using the mod system only to do modifications.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11433-Documentation-Modular-mods-system

How exactly would I go about posting a "test case"? Like a save file or what?

For example. Anything that lets me see the problem instead of having to imagine it.

I read it and I may just be tired or really really dense but it didn't give me a good picture as to how my .xmls should actually look. The example files weren't too helpful either. I tried formatting them like that but now the gun just doesn't even show up in the inventory.

In the weapons.xml file it was referencing the ballistic1 folder when the folder was actually called ballistic 1 (with a space). After correcting that, it no longer crashes in the equip screen. I've just tried resizing it down and it still causes ground combat to crash if anyone has it equipped. How exactly would I go about posting a "test case"? Like a save file or what?

As I said above, it doesn't crash on ground combat for me, the gun works fine it just doesn't have an image displayed on the ui.

As I said above, it doesn't crash on ground combat for me, the gun works fine it just doesn't have an image displayed on the ui.

In that case you're doing something wrong (most probably not actually using it as a modular mod), since it definitely should crash.

I wasn't using it as a modular mod but as the actual mod he posted.

I didn't see the point converting it to use the modular system until it actually worked as a mod. I don't really know at this point if the problem was that the mod was broken or it was just not working with the modular system but it appears to me that the basic elements of the mod work which could be useful feedback. There was already plenty of feedback on how to use it with the modular system so no real need to add more.

I should have been more clear with the reply though.

I suggest you have a look at my mod, Fire in the Hole (the 0.26 version). It adds in a new weapon using the modular structure so you'll be able to see what you need to do there.

Well, today I downloaded that version and copied the formatting for weapons_gc (and transplanted it to sounds_gc) and weapons, strings, and items, but I still get a CTD at ground combat. I'm not sure what llunak is using to get those debug messages either. Is there something glaringly wrong with how I'm using modmerge here?

EDIT: This would help a lot if I could find where the CE dumps the logfiles.

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

Edited by Fucille

I meant the UI graphic, yes. I honestly don't know what's going on with the spectres, I'm not sure they're doing anything useful as they are at the moment.

If you're still getting a CTD on mission load, it might be because you lack an entry for singleshot.

Try adding in <singleshot/> above the burst fire entry and see if it works then.

EDIT: re log files, there's instructions on one of the mod instructions page:

If Xenonauts.exe is launched with -modinfo, there will be additional information logged about the loading and merging of resources. The log file is located in user's Application Data/PlayFirst/Xenonauts folder (this needs 0.25 hotfix, plain 0.25 does not work).

To do this, copy the executable and paste it as a shortcut. Then right click on the shortcut and go to properties. In the 'target' field, add ' -modinfo' to the end so it will be like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\Xenonauts.exe" -modinfo

If you're running windows, the log might be a bit difficult to find. Mine is under C:/users/<user>/appdata/roaming/playfirst/xenonauts

Edited by kabill

After looking a bit, it turns out I had an extraneous <weapons> in weapons_gc.xml. Removing it means the mission loaded, but the guy on the ground was holding nothing, had no UI image, and the sound effect was the same as the M16 3 shot burst. Checking the logfile shows this:

Sun Aug 10 12:25:44 2014: MOD ERROR: Adding new item weapon.MA5D which has empty column(s).

Sun Aug 10 12:25:44 2014: MOD ERROR: Adding new item weapon.MA5D which has empty column(s).

Sun Aug 10 12:25:45 2014: ##### : Missing string for label '0'

Sun Aug 10 12:25:53 2014: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Aug 10 12:25:57 2014: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Aug 10 12:25:57 2014: ##### : Missing string for label 'Undefined'

I've attached the current state of the mod again in hopes that someone would be kind enough to find the error here, because as far as I can tell, it's exactly the same formatting as the Fire In The Hole mod.

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

halo MA5D.zip

File path to the image for the weapon is wrong in weapons_gc. It paths to gui/weapons/MA5D.png but there's no such folder/file in the mod. I guess it should be weapons/ballistic1/MA5D.png instead.

Alright after fiddling a bit with the item file I got most of the error message to go away, and after feeling really stupid for not noticing that, I got the GUI image to work. Then I realized that the firing sound was set to Weapon Assault Rifle Burst, but when I changed it to MA5D Burst, no firing sound plays in the game. It's completely silent.

So once again I am at a loss and very very frustrated.

EDIT: Same with the reload noise actually, so it's gotta be something with sounds_gc.

Edited by Fucille

That's an issue with 0.26 - it won't load new sound files using the modular system. llunak said it will get fixed in the future.

Okay well that makes sense.

Now I just need to figure out the very last issue. Why my goddamn soldier is holding nothing in his hands despite having a specter file. Do those not load either?

EDIT: Never mind again. I figured it out. The spectre was named the wrong thing.

That makes everything! It finally works! Thank you everyone!

Edited by Fucille

[ATTACH]5217[/ATTACH]FFS. Now after everything works, I tried to make a one-handed SMG, and it works fine as long as I wield it in both hands, but when I use it single handed with a shield in the other, its GUI spot is left blank and my soldier becomes completely invisible.

The spectres are just supposed to look like

<anim src="units/xenonaut/armour.basic/weapon.combatshield.laserpistol/run_w" anim="walk_NY"/>

For shielded ones right? What am I missing this time?

EDIT: And now I look even dumber. It was set to hands=2 in weapons_gc but twohanded=0 in weapons.

Edited by Fucille