Chokepoints in base

In the original game, I would create choke points by having livingquarters as the only link between hangars (and any other surface-access-buildings) and the rest of the base.

First I suggest a simple 1x1 hallway building. Single story, for use as chokepoints. Possibly a chokepoint building with built-in cover or even a fixed machinegun emplacement. But just the hallway would be fine.

An alternative could be to allow me to choose which buildings have accessways between them. But that might be harder, codingwise.

Actually another idea just popped into my head: Will I be able to use my hunter-tanks stationed in the garage in base defence?

I think Chris mentioned somewhere that the garage will be made into a 1x1 building with 1 tank in ít. That would be perfect as a chokepoint, as a garage would probably be mostly open space. I could then use a garage as the link between hangars and the rest of the base.

Also, do you know which buildings has surface access? I would think only hangars and base defences. I think radar would be the underground control-station linked with cables to the above-ground radar itself.

I already suggested corridors in the old forums, and as I remember Chris liked the idea so that should be in =]

I'm not sure about tanks in base defense, it depends on how wide the corridor pieces are.

Also Chris is trying to open up more base structures to alien assault, so it wont be so easy to do base defense each time

Great, thanks, I hope the corridors make it into the game in a meaningful way!

I'm fine with the idea that the tanks can't roll around the whole base, even if they only fit into their own garage and the hangars, they would still be a nice addition to defense. And if I were base commander under attack IRL, you can bet I'd use them!

Re. NoIdidnt, I was planning on using them with machineguns and the like, not aoe weapons, for this reason. Although I don't think collateral damage will be really permanent. Hopefully, you'll just need to repair the affected building (unless it's a critical building like powerplant or commandcenter which would make you loose the mission).

Edit: If more structures are open to attack, that also makes it more important to have defensible chokepoints around the critical buildings - and always have a few soldiers spawn there. (I'm guessing that we won't be able to position soldiers ourselves before starting combat?)

Edited by AradoX

Sorry i guess i should have made myself more clear.

i was just asking if i was remembering right.

but no i didnt meen it would be unrepairable but could cost you time to repair.

if the resesarch building got damaged you would lose time in research while it was repaired.

Edited by NoIdidnt

I've been building lots of bases in the current version and I've found that trying to create classic choke points like in the original is a total PITA! Hangars and garages take a long time to build and there are a lot of UFOs buzzing around out there in the current build (not sure if that's going to be toned down in the production version). So it takes freakin' forever to get a structure built and you have to wait for one to get done in order to build off of its walls.

Actually, I think it would be nice to be able to design base templates and set them on auto build. But that's another topic ;)