Questions about Weapon Research/Upgrades/etc

Kel

Greetings everybody,

After (not very successfully) trying to figure it out by myself by looking at the *.xml files for hours/ Skimming through the forum and Wiki, I decided to just post here and hope to find some answers :)

Lets begin:

1. How do I make it so, that weapons can be auto-upgraded after a research the same way that grenades are atm.

2. Is adding a research that allows a certain item to be unlocked enough for the beforementioned item to not be shown in a fresh game?

3. What mechanic blocks certain items from use? IE the AK is as far as I can see fully implemented, though cannot be accessed for xenonauts. I feel a little bit stupid there since my self made weapons do show up and I have no idea what is different there :)

4. Weapon Imaged have certain sizes, how important is it to stick to the specific sizes? Will the game crash if it is one pixel to large? Or is it autoscaled? If not, that would save alot of work since you dont have to create two images of different sizes for ./weapons/ and ./gui/weapons/

5. Is there an overview about the specific hardcoded weapon attributes when assigning them the stats rocket/ballistic etc? :)

Thanks in advance :D

o7

Kel

1) You need to do two things. Firstly, you need to set all weapons in items.xml to "unlimited on research". You then need to do into researches.xml and add 'ReplaceItem( OLD.WEAPON; NEW.WEAPON);' for all of the weapon types in the relevant research topics (I can't remember the name of the column, but it'll be obvious when you see it). You'll also probably want to remove the manufacturing unlocks in the same cells you're adding the ReplaceItem function in to. I think that should do it.

2) Yes, I think so. I think all items are automatically unavailable unless you make them unlock somehow (there's a script that does it for the starting things).

3) The AK quite possibly isn't on the items list in Items.xml. I might be wrong, but I imagine that's what's missing.

4) It autoscales, although for best visual results you want to size the image well. (There's others who might be able to help with this; Not An Artist).

5) Don't think so. Trial and error/specific questions here are probably the best bet.