I much prefer the new UI (research screen), but perhaps there a way to reuse these assets. Maybe only have the new UI (Head scientist, et cetra) at your main base, and keep this screen (with improved menus) for the other bases....

It would makes sense, rather than have 8 scientests that look alike, at 8 bases. I'm not sure how hard that would be to include though....

I would assume that you would still go to your main advisor on the subject even when deciding to start up a project at at secondary, tetriary etc base. Kind of deligateing the work by general a order to that guy and let him sort out the specifics at each base.

(Research isn't base specific is it? I guess manufaction is though)

On the more practical side: the research/workshop UIs are more clunky and less intuitive than I could hope. Clicking on an item pulls up the description in the lower-left pane, which is fine. What I don't like is having to mouse all the way down to the bottom left to click the "Start" button to get the option to allocate scientists/engineers.

Good point and it's something I recall as going "oh" at when I played my first version of the game.