Self Imposed Challenges?

Hey guys, just wondering what all people have done out there in terms of special "house rules" challenges. Has anyone done a run with something like all ballistics, no explosives, or some other self-imposed challenge like that? I've been toying with the idea of doing another non-I/I playthrough if I manage to finish Long War a couple months before XCOM 2 comes out and I'm rather liking the idea of an all shotgun challenge.

I played around with it for a couple hours a few days ago, and it seems to be fairly viable although I found myself doing some counter-intuitive things like taking advantages to changes in CE and doing shotgun overwatch camping a couple times. It also really flipped things upside down because my map preference is opposite of normal and I found myself avoiding the desert maps I normally loved for the big open spaces in favor of industrial maps. I also wound up with base upgrades and hyperwave decoders in like November, which was nice but weird.

I'm terrible for self-imposed limits - e.g. in Skyrim I insist on only using weapons and armour I craft myself from ore I've mined and leather and fur from animals I've actually hunted and any enchantments bestowed on them by me. Takes forever but is oddly satisfying.

I've got so daft in Xenonauts about ensuring that every soldier is as well developed as possible before launching Operation Endgame that I must be viewed as at best pragmatic by the general population. In seeking to improve reflexes I deliberately look for Sebillian and Reaper incursions in industrial settings and use ranged attacks on any Sebillians with area-effect weapons whilst leaving Reapers to infect as many locals as possible to increase the number of targets for overwatch fire. It's very effective but a little piece of your soul dies...

I've not done this myself per se but some kind of restriction on aircraft/aircraft weapon upgrades.

I've played with a mod before that required aircraft weapon upgrades to be manufactured rather than being finished immediately on research completion. Even with this additional lag (caused by manufacturing time and resource availability) changed the air game somewhat I wasn't constantly ahead of the aliens in air power. So a no air weapons upgrades game might be interesting. But I think you might need a mod to do that as air weapons upgrade off of techs that do other things as well.

EDIT: Actually, that probably falls under the 'making it more difficult' category. Never mind.

Edited by kabill