Tutorial for 1.5 release?

llunak

Food for thought:

There are some rather basic things that many new players fail to realize or get wrong. They are of course explained in the manual, explanatory dialogs, tooltips or just plain logical if you actually think about it, but nowadays apparently it's cool to ignore that and many people instead just jump into the game and expect the game will shove everything down their throat. Which Xenonauts doesn't do and so these people often end up wasting much more time than it would have taken them to read things and eventually they'll just dismiss their problems as the game's fault. Just watch some YT videos.

Things that come to mind:

- shooting accuracies (it's unbelievable how long some people can try to play the game with just snap shots, because they do not figure out about right-click, or fail to see what that part of panel marked "TU reserve" actually does)

- air combat basics

- the need to expand and cover areas (more bases and radars)

- shooting/peeking around corners (i.e. asymetrical LOF/LOS)

- how to use a medikit (=putting it in the soldier's hands instead of that rifle)

- soldier roles instead of managing items manually

- in general, reading things (tooltips, Xenopedia, explanatory dialogs)

So an idea that has just crossed my mind is that if somebody was up to it, something like a YT video explaining some of the game concepts could get pretty famous, especially now that 1.5 is about to be released. And it wouldn't need to be that extensive or in-depth, no need to show tips or tricks, really just "Xenonauts basics in 10 minutes": This is how geoscape works, this is how funding works and how it improves or gets worse, this is how you handle a base, this is how you shoot down a UFO, this is how ground combat works, this is how you shoot, this is how you use a medikit/grenade/flare, this is how shooting/peeking around corners works, that kind of stuff.

To be clear, I'm not saying I'm going to do that. Just in case somebody else felt like it (and if nobody does it, it won't get done, simple as that).

Edited by llunak

You are totally right.. Not only the basic, there should be some tuorials for even old xcom players.. becouse this game got very tricky things you dont get, if you dont try to mod..

Mostly about armour, resistance, weapon damage types, damage calculations...

For example, you shoot an alien and its "resist".. there is no way a player can guess what it is.. you can think..

1. Hmm he is resisted, so he will never get any damage from this weapon..

2. Oooo.. he resisted.. so he doesnt take the full dmg but i should harm him..

3. What did he resist at all? It was a bullet not a fireball spell..

4. He resisted my grenade, flashbang, weapon fire.. is he immortal?

So resist means different for everyone.. I learned all the calculations from ppl here with pming them.. and these answers are very important at a tactical game..