Underground/Indoor missions?

I couldn't see this mentioned elsewhere but I'd definitely like to see more missions set indoors. The base/final missions tend to be the most interesting to play and there is surely scope to have more ground combat in that kind of environment. I don't know how well the game engine handles maps with multiple levels but it seemed fine in X1.

Specifically, I'm thinking of a map with the breach aspect of a crashsite but more of the corridor fighting of a base. For example: the aliens could hold some kind of facility, like a water processing unit, and their aim would be to attack the infrastructure of a city. So, as opposed to a strike team of aliens doing a terror attack on the surface, it'd be an infiltration team holed up underground (so they wouldn't necessarily be trying to kill or cause panic, but could be spreading a virus to manipulate the population or something).

Pros

Such a style of map would have plenty of opportunity for choke points and low lighting but with more of a grimy/industrial setting than the sci-fi tone of a xenonauts or alien base. Plus these missions could occur with some frequency, perhaps even without the overt UFO deployment - this would break up the monotony of crashsite after crashsite.

Cons

More effort to explain how these missions would fit into the aliens gameplan. More design work for the maps involved and fixing any issues of breaching/descending into an underground level.

• 1 year later...

In another thread, I asked if it was possible to have terror missions with aliens planting bombs all over a large sky scraper and/or cruise liner, and currently in the process of planting more if you don't get to them in time.  Fantastic in theory, and reminiscant of XCOM:TFTD or Apocalypse, but how easy it is to put it into practice is a different story