Assault shield doesn't appear once researched and the combat shield vanishes.

Hey guys, I'm currently using the latest version and have just researched the assault shield upgrade, It's not appearing in my equipment inventory and there's no option to manufacture shields, also the original combat shield has vanished as well from the equipment screen. Any solider which was equipped with a combat shield pre research now has an assault shield upgrade, but once I remove the shield from the solider it vanishes.

I've got no idea how to fix this so if you guys could tell me what to do I'd appreciate it because my guys are getting murdered out there!

You used to be able to manufacture it for free from an unmarked research project. At the moment, you should go to items.xml and search for "assaultshield" and edit its part to

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="15">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">weapon.assaultshield</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">0</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:Index="4" ss:StyleID="s72"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlimitedOnResearch</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">weapons/airplane/rocket</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">Item.Dispose.Destroyed</Data></Cell>

</Row>

EDIT: Or you could just open it in Excel for ease of access I guess - the point is to make it UnlimitedOnResearch

Related question on this topic, please. I went with the above advice (thanks, Tobbzn) although opening the file in Excel made it look like a spreadsheet so I didn't see anything that really resembled the above quote box. I did find the entry for the assault shield and changed the later column from whatever it was originally to "UnlimitedOnResearch" - although to get it I had to copy/paste the value from another row, as it wasn't an option in the assault shield's cell drop-down.

In-game the assault shield now shows up in the soldier equip screen and I can add it to my troops' backpacks and equip it on ground missions, but it doesn't display on the soldier at all; they still just appear to be holding a pistol and nothing else. I admit I didn't try sending the poor guy into a fight to test whether the shield was there but "invisible", or bugged out and not actually equipped/providing any benefits.

Here's a screenshot of the xml file as I see it, after editing. First time trying to get an image to this board, fingers crossed.

vcwM1OL.jpg

Is there more I should be doing please?

vcwM1OL.jpg

vcwM1OL.thumb.jpg.541402c2957411a143d6b3

Looks right. As far as I can tell, a lot of sprites aren't implemented, including Assault Shield sprites.

Thanks. After I made the change, booted up the game and headed out on a mission, I was understandably cautious when the inventory showed a shield in the off-hand but my soldier appeared to be just standing there with a pistol and nothing else.

"Uh Sir? I don't appear to actually have the shield I was told I'd have."

"It's fine, Rookie! There's only one way to find out - so get out there and get shot at."