No sound effects in Ground Combat...ogg files are silent

Ive been playing Xenonauts for a week now...with no sound in ground combat. There are no footsteps, gunfire, etc. Of note, some sounds play -- doors opening and closing, for example -- but most are completely silent. Music is audible.

I looked into the sound .xmls and made sure they referenced correctly. Then I went into the "audio" subfolder to locate the sound effects to test them. What is odd is that they are silent when testing them with Media Player Classic, also. They have the correct sizes, and the EQ shows the waveform while it should be playing, but there is no sound. I checked the door open and close files...those are audible. The vast majority of them are not, however, even when playing them in 3rd party software.

I installed the Ogg Vorbis codec on a lark, and lo and behold you can hear them...but only in Windows Media Player. Not in anything else. After all this foolishness, I went back in game to see if something had changed. Still no sound effects for 95% of the GC triggers. I am confused. What is going on? I LOVE this game, but playing it with no sound fx is obviously crap. Any suggestions?

Edited by deez_27

There was a similar issue with the launcher. Try updating your Windows Media player (the one comes with windows) also updating it's codecs.

Thanks for the reply. I am running the latest version of Windows Media Player 12. I downloaded and installed several WMP codecs, including those for .ogg files. I can now play all of the sounds in WMP, but they still are silent in-game. This is driving me nuts...why does WMP affect Xenonauts?

ld

Media player is used to play the video on the launcher it was my guess maybe it's related somehow, turn out it doesnt. Are you sure your sound settings are enabled in the menu and all the sliders are at the max? Are you running the game from a laptop?