Crash within a second of title screen

Hi. I just installed the Humble (non-steam key) version of Xenonauts (1.8), and it crashes about 1 second into the title screen every time. I get a Windows error screen about an exception error or something. Stupid thing is, the error log it keeps telling me to go to doesn't seem to exist, and it won't let me copy the text from the Windows error window... so, I can't really give you any more details about what is happening.

My system is WinXP sp3.

I tried running it at different resolutions, windowed/fullscreen. Same thing every time.

Any theories or steps I can try?

Edited by ladlon

have you had problems with other games?

What graphics card are you using?

If you use steam, try and DL the steam version and check if it works. It could be a dodgy install. the steam version can be run from root directory without steam once installed

You get a steam key with humble

Edited by flashman

No problems at all with other games, graphics intensive or simple, for years.

Currently I'm using an NVidia GeForce GTX 460.

Soon after trying a few times, the game won't launch at all. I clicked on shortcut, and it seemingly won't even start the .exe/launcher now.

I tried running the Quick Battle app, and got the launcher again, but the same result as when I initally tried. Clicking Play Xenonauts results in the title screen appearing, but then getting a Windows error (...this time, slightly different, saying it had a fatal exception, whereas the other one just said exception). Luckily, the attempt wtih the Quick Battle app resulted in a dump file which DOES exist (though is gibberish under Notepad).

I have plenty of drive space (630 gigs) , Windows is up to date (SP3), realtively clean system, just defragged before installing, 2 GB of RAM.

This is the Humble version, so I'm not using a Steam key. I have a Steam account, but preferred using the non-key version so I wouldn't have to log on every time I wanted to play.

I installed Xenonauts just by copying the contents of the zip file into the AppData folder of MyDocuments (...as I thought I was hearing some talk about it having issues if you install it in the standard ProgramFiles folder, due to permissions... Is that true?). Should I move it elsewhere?

Edited by ladlon

Just tried running it as an admin. The launcher ran again (after not working for a while now), but it still gets the exception error 1 second into the title screen. The music plays fine, even after the error message comes on.

I tried re-copying all the program files (everything but the assets folder) over again. The file size of the full folder matches that of the downloaded (and extracted) copy I made on another computer.

I would try extracting it somewhere else or download it again in case there is a corrupt file.

The steam version can be launched through steam but you can also create a shortcut so you dont have to use it. The game doesnt use steamworks.

Ya, it was a bit of a mess here... I didn't have 4 gigs of room on my second drive of my gaming PC, so I copied the download zip to a second machine that did have space. I didn't want to put it on the C drive where I would install it, as that would then leave a hole after I installed it and removed the zip (...ya, I'm one of those guys who is overly sensitive about fragmentation!).

I copied everything over through the network, and although a bit tedious, it seemed to work (folder size is the same).

Seeing as it's not one of those 'click the exe to install / registry altering' type of things, I could try it on the other machine, too.

Zip SEEMS intact (...at least in terms of it not giving me an error when ask it to show me the files inside), but ya, there's always a chance of corruption.

I just wanted to be sure that it's not some other factor (video drivers, not enough RAM, etc) before getting into all that other stuff.

Okay, I'll try running it on the other machine (a much beefier Win7 i7 system with 12 gigs of RAM... although I don't imagine Xenonauts is much of a strain even on this first system).

Yep, the other system crashes as well (same spot). Guess some of the files must be corrupt. I HAVE had trouble downloading larger files from Humble Bundle. I was fighting a losing battle trying to download Psychonauts from them for the longest time... even with a download manager.

At least the Win7 system allowed me to copy the info from the error message, not that it appears to reveal much other than 'it crashed'.

Is there any place I can just download the exe files, and not have to download the 3-4 gigs of assets again?

So, you're saying that even if I install the Steam version, it can be played without having to launch the Steam app? That would be just fine for me.

Hell, even a Steam version is not a bad thing... I just prefer a 'run it anytime immediately' version if I can.

If you post a shortcut to the game exe it doesnt use steam

So, that would just be a regular shortcut created from the exe file that would be on my local drive from the Steam install, right?

Good thing that works... I just tried downloading the torrent version of Xenonauts, since I know I have issues with files that are 4 gigs from Humble Bundle), and the torrent program I'm using is claiming that the 630 gigs of drive space I have is not enough! Sheesh... This game is giving me a fight! ;)

Cool, I'll just install the Steam version and do the shortcut.

Thanks for you help, flashman. I imagine the Steam install should work fine. If not, I'll be back!

Cheers

Yep, that worked! Speedy download with Steam, and the direct shortcut worked, too.

I finally got to play it, after weeks of watching YouTube vids.

Thanks again for your help.

(BTW, I noticed an odd little mouse issue, which I'll post in a separate thread)