Modules and Equipment ideas

Currently in the EA, there are 4 modules, that a soldier can equip to his backpack/vest: Targetting, Automed, Armor and Actuator. All 4 fit into the backpack, still allowing additional 9 items to be carried.

I believe, that it would help the versatility and capability of the team, if there were some more modules, that would "specialize" certain soldiers on specific tasks, such as a scout for example. Whilecthere were good ideas alredy about additional modules, I think, that bringing another type of equipment could give the player another level of tactical gameplay.

Drone module

The drone itself would be a module, taking space in the backpack (3x3 or 4x4) so the soldier would still be able to carry equipment or some extra gear. There would be a remote, appearing in the secondary weapon slot of the soldier once the drone would be deployed (like by the c4). The drone itself would be relatively fragile (say 30 HP) with high amount of TUs (80), but with no armor (but a very small target wit bonus to defense) and only a small weapon carrying capacity (pistol/stun gun f.e. with average accuracy of 50) for self defense (or even without weapons, but with a camera, to reveal bigger area). It would be used mainly for scouting the area, not for combat. The deploy and undeploy of the drone would be costly (say 60-75% TUs), as the operator would work with the drone ( needs to concentrate on the task).

Motion scanner

This could be module or a piece of equipment (secondary weapon slot wereable) - soldier wearing it would be able to see trails of movement from previous AI turn, using thermal imaging for a limited distance (10-15 tiles t.e.) Each use of the scanner would cost 10 TU.

It would be useful to locate an enemy, that went to hide during AI turn f.e. The location of a signal could be shown on the battlescape by a questionmark for the soldier wearing the module making the player aware, that a trail has been found on the scanner.

Possible disadvantages: any movement would be shown, including civilians. Another disadvantage could be, that explosions from the AI turn could show heat trails as well

Claymore mine

Equipment, similar in function to c4, but with effect in a cone, originating from the mine in a wedge shape of 5-6 tiles in same direction the mine would be planted in (cost 10 TU). Its size would be smaller than the c4 (2×2), dealing kinetic damage (45+). Same as the c4, the trigger would be remote, controled by the soldier, that planted it.

Proximity land mine

Equipment, planted without a remote fuse. Smaller than Claymore (2×1), with slightly less damage (45). After planting (10 TU) the mine, it would activate at the end of turn. Enemy, that would approach its effect radius (3×3 tiles), would trigger the mine for a kinetic damage to anything in the area of effect.

Possible disadvantages: civilians could trigger it as well. 

Edited by Raffik
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Raffik said:

Drone module

I like the idea of a drone for scouting, albeit a very fragile and unarmed one. Maybe buildable once you kill / capture one of the alien servitor gun drones? To prevent it being OP it could have quite narrow vision. To keep things simple maybe it doesn't have its own TUs, but rather uses the operator's TUs to move.

50 minutes ago, Raffik said:

Motion scanner

Great idea, I'd love to have a motion scanner in the game. Rather than having the signal shown on the battlescape, how about an old-school alternative. See @FLIR's excellent post here, which includes a link to an image of the original X-COM motion scanner visuals

58 minutes ago, Raffik said:

Claymore mine

58 minutes ago, Raffik said:

Proximity land mine

Personally I never use these kinds of devices in these games, but if other people would like to then why not? ;)

FYI, for more module ideas I recommend checking out @GreyICE's thread here.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...