[Feature Request] Vehicle Secondary Weapons

kabill

Vehicles are cool. But what would make them even more so is a secondary weapon slot to allow a mixture of weapon types or to add in support weapons like smoke grenades to vehicles.

This used to be possible, but it looks like between beta 19.X and final release a lot of the code which allowed it to work has been removed/bypassed/altered so that it isn't any more. As such, if it were to be implemented it would require some source-code tinkering.

There's two key things needed to make this work: 1) UI/code support on the vehicle equip screen; and 2) UI (and maybe code support too?) in ground combat.

Regarding the first, I've done some experimenting using stuff from the old game files (when secondary weapons were possible to mod in) and it doesn't work. I can produce a new button, but the game doesn't seem able to distinguish between primary and secondary weapons any more and it doesn't seem possible to populate either button with secondary weapons. (I can give some more detail here if it's useful.)

Regarding the second, Gauddlike suggested elsewhere dividing the main weapon UI into two sections like when a soldier is using a single handed weapon. Alternatively, it might be possible to re-purpose the quick weapon slot for vehicles? I don't know whether the code is still in game to use secondary weapons otherwise, as it's impossible to tell without being able to equip them. Hopefully all that still works though.