Logistics, reintroducing stuff into the game?

Chaos Blade

The more I think about it the more it feels like cheating to have infinite ammo and the worse I feel about the auto upgrade of the vehicles and craft weapons.

it feels off, and while it does add a layer of simplicity, the lack of any cost to those upgrades, even a flat ammount, breaks the immersion (insomuch you can have immersion in this type of game).

But I miss this from the old X-Com, the need to juggle E-115 and alloys into weapons, armor and, most importantly: ammo.

I find that the level 0 ammo be infinite is ok, but once you start going into alienium infused stuff? that I feel needs to be handled in detail, and I know this game, once, had these features in.

Can this be modded back in? I know that if so one would need to re-balance the whole game, the alenium and alloy drop of ufos and the cost and man/hours of material produced and I am willing to tackle this project, assuming it is possible to begin with.