First Impressions...

Yet another first impressions post from someone you don't know and don't particularly value the opinions of :D

But anyway...

I was purposely avoiding playing too much before general release, in order to not spoil the surprises, and I've finally got around to spending time with it.

Firstly, the music, which is so important, is brilliant- good job!! Incredibly atmospheric, sometimes just very ambient with the odd alien-like noise, sometimes just plain catchy.

Initially, I didn't really go for the graphics much, but they are beginning to grow on me. i am guessing the maps aren't randomly generated (as with the original Julian Golllop XCOM I believe?), as I've seen that particular farm map quite a few times now. But, the varied tilesets are awesome.

I started to play with a cynical disregard for my troops, and under-estimating the aliens after easily doing some light scout missions- kill a couple outside, rest are inside, yeah yeah. Then I downed a Corvette (and got my fighters shot down easily by their fighters), and everything changed.

One particular mission- I managed to complete a Corvette mission with no casualties, my Sniper dude was a massive hero- staying near the back and pulling off some incredible saving shots. Back to the Geoscape, and I had no fighters available to down a nearby UFO, so had to leave it...and watch it as it zero'd in on my returning troop carrier..closer... closer... nonononono, still can't scramble fighter.... closer and BAM, helo down, 4 of my troops survive. My sniper isn't one of them. Well, damn. Gutted. Valuable lesson learned.

It's these little touches that make this game awesome- like landing in a Middle East desert map, and watching an AK-47 toting local put down a Caesian. Hearing a farmer on a night mission double tap an alien with a shotgun. Researching plasma weapons, and being told- yeah whatever, you can't use them- here's lasers instead!

Although the Firaxis XCOM was good in some respects, it took a lot of heart out of the game that this re-adds. Multiple bases, transferring units as necessary, which UFOs to intercept, hunting alien bases etc etc.

Goldhawk took a brave step by removing some micro'ing (from the original XCOM)- eg. stores being kept topped up with run of the mill ammo/equipment- personally, I appreciate this, nothing more annoying than having to equip soldiers with pistols as you'd run out of rifle ammo in early game.... or flares for night missions. I am curious to see if this extends to plasma weapons- will you have to actively make them once you've researched them? I'm assuming so, but please don't spoil it for me :)

So, Chris and the team- great job on the game, really enjoying playing it :)