menu is disabled

something bugged my menu so that I can no longer hit Escape to call it up. The game progressed normally except there is no way I can quit or save.

Why isn't there an actual menu button on the interface to allow us to get around this issue?

*Edit*: This is similar to the Alien base crash thread I just found. I was in an alien base attack and now my menu is disabled even after the battle is over. Oh and I thought battle is over but in reallity it returned to the world map but game has frozen.

The Base screens still work and you can send items, equip soldiers, but world map crash and ships are frozen.

Edited by Xenonaut

update: was able to bypass this by loading the Autosave file at the end of the base combat. I think there is always a save file whenever you finish with the combat phase and going back to world view.

When loaded, the auto save file allowed the game to move forward and menu is enabled again. All you have to do of course, is to fight that base mission successfully in one sitting.