A Question about Desura.

If I wish to test the game on my notebook, will I be able to play the game without an internet connection? Previously I simply ported the build from my desktop to my notebook because the game ran better on it. Can I still do that or will I need to set up desura on my notebook first?

Thanks

Your question piqued my curiosity, so I shut down Desura, disconnected my ADSL and copied the game files from their default installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Desura\Common\xenonauts\ in Windows 7) onto a thumb drive.

I'm happy to tell you that you can take Xenonauts to a desert island irrespective of broadband coverage. The game seemed to run without a hitch.

Edited by iamkyon

Here's a similar question. I'm currently in Afghanistan and will be here until mid-June. I have no idea what Desura is, but I know a Steam install will be no good because we don't have internet connectivity on our personal computers (only shared computers).

Would I be able to download Desura and/or the game client and put on a thumb drive, then install on my personal laptop? Or will I just have to bite the bullet and wait until I get back to the States?

We don't have much information on how the release will actually work (probably over steam), but the current pre-order builds are only via Desura.

From what iamkyon says, it seems you should be able to download and move the game onto a thumb drive and play via laptop that way.

Desura just delivers the builds as naked unencrpyed files into the /desura/ directory. You can happily extract them and do whatever you like with them. It's basically just the builds we had before, but downloading via a third party distribution system. So no, no internet connection required :)

Here's a similar question. I'm currently in Afghanistan and will be here until mid-June. I have no idea what Desura is, but I know a Steam install will be no good because we don't have internet connectivity on our personal computers (only shared computers).

Think of Desura as Steam for indie developers and mod projects.

Would I be able to download Desura and/or the game client and put on a thumb drive, then install on my personal laptop? Or will I just have to bite the bullet and wait until I get back to the States?

The question is: do you have the user privileges to install the Desura client on a shared computer? Unless I'm mistaken, Desura handles all downloads through its client software as of this moment.

Nonetheless, transferring your downloads onto another drive should be a breeze.

Edited to add: as mentioned by Chris in another thread, a standalone installer package is being worked on.

Hope this helps!

Edited by iamkyon

Does this mean the new build is out already? Desura says the following.

"It appears you do not have a copy of Xenonauts on your Bibidibop account. You can purchase a copy of Xenonauts for your account, via the links on the right.
Once you have activated a copy via Desura, you will be able to return here and send your account details to the official developers. Thanks for your support."

Bibidibop, have you claimed your Xenonauts gift that was e-mailed to your PayPal email?

There are two things you must do as someone who pre-ordered using PayPal:

1. Claim premium forum status using the legacy link

2. Claim your copy of Xenonauts on Desura

Is there a way to allow Desura to log in automaticl? I am fed up with having to do it manually, it makes my fingers hurt.

Although I'm not sure whether your query is in jest or not, I'll bite: you'll be pleased to learn that clicking on the tickbox labelled "Auto" on Desura's login splash screen will spare you the typing.

Although I'm not sure whether your query is in jest or not, I'll bite: you'll be pleased to learn that clicking on the tickbox labelled "Auto" on Desura's login splash screen will spare you the typing.

That's just it iamkyon, it's doesn't. I have enabled this option over and over again, but still boot to the login box. May have something to do with windows 7, I really don't know.

That's just it iamkyon, it's doesn't. I have enabled this option over and over again, but still boot to the login box. May have something to do with windows 7, I really don't know.

That's peculiar. I'm a Windows 7 user myself, but for me, the feature works as intended: the splash screen appears on start-up, but the login process itself is automated.

Edited to add: there's a thread on the ModDB forum about auto-login woes.

Edited by iamkyon