Barracks / Personnel screen updated UI for comment!

Chris

I wrote a long explanation for this screen but the forums ate it so this post will be brief. Basically this screen replaces the existing Personnel screen, and is geared towards managing the soldiers. The hiring of personnel will now be conducted on the relevant page (labs, workshop, barracks) rather than all together on a single page as I think it makes more sense that way.

The training functionality is more than likely to be canned. I've thought about it and I don't really see it being particularly useful, it's really just adding an extra layer of complexity for no real gain. People get confused by the fact it only works on Privates (so none of the starting troops) and the fact it has very limited functionality. Levelling troops up in battle shouldn't be difficult enough to make it that useful either.

Anyway, onto the screen itself. The first screen is the soldier management screen (clipboard "paper" obvious still WIP):

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/barracks1.jpg

There will be functionality to "look down" which would let you see more troops on the clipboard but that'll hide the navigation menu on the wall and the speech bubble menu. Quite how it'll be triggered, I'm not fully sure yet. I quite like the colour coding of the numbers too - it's just a question of not making the screen look like a kaleidoscope.

EDIT - the colour coding is basically done at random in that image but essentially numbers will start backed in yellow at 50 and then will move up to the darker greens as the soldier gets closer to 100. For the chinook, the lighter green indicates a soldier not on full health who has still been assigned to a Chinook (details on his injury would be shown on mouseover).

The second screen is the soldier hiring screen:

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/Barracks2.jpg

This basically incorporates the current soldier pool hiring system direct into the UI. We'll probably colour-code the stats there too.

Getting a 404 for image 2

That's a lot of space for a manage/ hire part and a bit of commentary. This could not only be a lot smaller, but could be incorporated into a top bar on the roster box below.

Both boxes could be more opaque, allowing us to see more of the image behind.

I'm not quite sure knowing what type of armour they are wearing helps here. I'd have had that in the equip soldiers part. Instead, I'd have used this part to have the soldier function - Assault, Sniper etc. I seem to remember this being mentioned and it would be a lot more useful to have next to to the craft assignment column.

Your second image results in a 404 Chris.

As for the first, while I like the look down idea, I'd personally move the top Hire/Manage select box to the top right (top edge in line with the "F6 - Barracks" sign and give the majority of the screen over to the roster list.

The solider roster box as well I'd modify to a shallow L shape, like so:

barracks1_buzz_modified.jpg

Also, I presume that grey colour for the bottom isn't final? It does look a bit hideous, my personal preference is dark backgrounds with white writing for it, although I really do like the colour coded stats.

Apart from that, it looks really good.

Edit: Beaten by Thothkins. Although I agree with him about the Armour column being uneeded and if possible, either the top box being smaller or at least transparent.

Perhaps the armour column could be used to show the soliders medals instead?

barracks1_buzz_modified.jpg

barracks1_buzz_modified.jpg.4fe0f3c27970

Edited by Buzzles

I'd like some kind of proper indication that you can't scroll down the image in the barracks 1 image. I know you will be able to look down somehow but I still want some sort of cutoff (that still indicates the list continues) or I'm going to be annoyed to death trying to scroll down instead of using the proper look down option.

Maybe remove the 2 lowest lines and replace them with a big downward triangle/arrow?

I don't understand the colour coding at all? could we get some more explanation about that? why does it look like a green and yellow checkers board?

Does anyone remember Beagle's post on separating soldier statictics? The issue that Beagle rose in that iteration of the UI is as evident in this iteration of the UI. While the background colour has changed, the spacing is the same and it's still a magic letter puzzle hunt against the sheer block of numbers. Would it be possible to delicately shade the individual columns so it's easier on the eyes?

Edited by Max_Caine
spelling

I assume colour coding is supposed to provide easy recognition of how high (or low) a specific stat is and spare the player from leering at numbers. Obviously it's placed holderish atm since identical stat values have different colours (just for demonstration's sake I assume) but it would be a good thing once it works properly.

Not sure about the lighter green chinook though.

The armour info is important imo when considering soldier transfer. "Role tags" can be a part of the name or in a column next to the name column.

Edited by Jean-Luc

The armour info is important imo when considering soldier transfer. "Role tags" can be a part of the name or in a column next to the name column.

I take this to mean that the armour goes with the soldier. Would this also apply to any other advanced alien equipment - for example if you have 2 troops with laser carbines and then transfer them, would the weapons also leave the base. If so, this would mean even more columns to cover these things, or just drop column as I suggested and go with something else, or have a little checkbox showing that they have advanced equipment.

It's a shame that the training part of the game may go as well. Is there any chance of this part being available to modders later on? I'm sure more could be done with it. It was also part of both EU & Apocalypse so a little sad to see it go for that reason too.

Edited by thothkins

Hopefully once the clipboard and paper look is added those harsh little coloured blocks might look more like highlighter stripes.

Your advisor has gone over the list for you with fluorescent pens so you can see the information at a glance.

Will both windows have the hire/manage selection in the same place?

Feels a bit awkward for it to be on top of one and the bottom of the other.

On the wall list could all of the floors be displayed instead of missing out the current one?

You could simply highlight the current room (as is done with f2 in the image) and not need the separate button saying barracks.

As this is the dismiss and transfer window could you have a toggle so you can switch the stats section between the current view and an equipment view?

Just a list of current held weapon and armour type would do.

If you are transferring troops then the rank and gear would be at least as important as the stats for me.

Maybe where the armour type is you could have a button, the one at the top switches everyone while the one in line with the soldier just switches their row.

And finally a quick question...

If Xenonauts are easily recognisable by their blue uniforms why are all the ones in the picture green?

At the moment soldiers with injuries are usually displayed with a % of health, or an "INJURED - 3 DAYS". How will this be translated over to the new UI? More importantly, where? Because at the moment, unless they have been forced to take bedrest, I can put soliders without max health on a dropship. I don't see anywhere here that woud accmodate both injury and on-dropship.

Updated the first post with the correct link to the second image and some details of the colour coding. I think adding gentle shading to every other stat column would help too, actually. I'll do that.

Finally - the Armour for a soldier can be changed by clicking on it on the screen. Does anyone use that functionality? Removing it would help keep the clipboard a bit less wide, especially given the soldier and dropship names can potentially be quite long strings.

I always change armours in the armoury as well.

If you need clear view of soldier's HP on first glance, how about making the chinook/wounded/unassigned bar filling up with colour, thus representing how many of total HP soldier has? Like a loading bar.

I hate it <3. A lot of screen space is wasted by the background, soldier stats (which aren't easily comparable at a glance nor relevant for an overview) and redundant information - the transfer and dismiss functions could be included in the current "status" tab ("assignment" reads better imo), armor type takes up precious screen space, elect box that might as well be a highlight (or better yet a penciled check in the margins once you get the graphics up). Also heavily dislike that I need two screens (this and the armory) to manage one resource, and four screens (this, armory, garage and presumably the hangar for shuffling around the chinook loadouts) to access all things ground combat.

One idea to improve upon this would be to integrate the armory screen into this one - you get the rooster upon entering the armory (including Rank, Callsign, ROLE (as determined by current equipment or the player), status (actual status - color coding alone isn't enough for wounded/in transit soldiers imo) and current assignment (which would include transit/sacking).

Single clicking a name highlights it, allowing multiple soldiers to be assigned/sacked/transited all at once.

Double clicking a soldier's name brings up their personal file including real name, equipment/armor (changeable, preferrably through easily customized packages that also helps determine roles), stats and current assignment (redundant with the one on the rooster).

I'd also consider adding vehicles to this screen as well (same principle - rooster for assigning/overiview and separate files for equipping/stats). Separate from the soldiers somehow (different tab?) but definetly accessible within one click from the rooster. Maybe even a third tab listing current Chinook loadouts (since it again relates more to ground combat than the Hangar tab, and would be plain convenient).

Edited by Infinitum

@Infinitum; How does having one screen with tabs differ from having one screen with buttons to the other screens?

If you need to click on a tab to view the garage then you could just click the button that says garage, same for the hangar etc.

I don't think the suggested change for armoury/roster would work either.

I think this roster would be less used than the armoury so it feels redundant to have to go through it each time.

@ Chris; I also equip armour through the armoury, although I think if you are transferring troops to another base and they will retain their equipment you need to be able to see that equipment.

Will the soldier list also be able to be sorted by any of those tabs?

It would be nice to sort by accuracy if you are looking for a sniper or by strength for a machine gunner.

The same would be nice on the recruitment screen.

Is engineer and scientist recruitment handled elsewhere in the new UI?

I always change it in the armory. However, it is very useful to have on that particular screen, and very useful for that screen to be a spreadsheet. I do look at that screen all the time to find out what armor someone's wearing, and sometimes that's the only reason I pull up that tab.

Perhaps the armor field is something that could be adapted into an icon? Save a lot of space on words without losing any content.

Edited by TheUbiquitous

In that case would it be better for you if you could toggle the stat section to a gear section?

A little weapon icon that you click to flip the stats over to show their current weapon and armour loadout or something similar.

If they also appear in columns you could even sort by armour or primary weapon type then.