All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. So a recurring theme here and in the error reports is that it's not intuitive how to use medpacks. I think there's an easy fix for this, as currently clicking on a weapon image has no effect and to be honest even I find myself doing it a lot still. If we just set this is activate that weapon (using the last selected fire mode) then that problem should go away, as the old X1-style interaction would then be supported too. Second, the issue that Ruggerman brings up I think is caused by a bug that we're planning to fix soon. You shouldn't ever actually change selected soldier unless you click your mouse or press a button, but in some circumstances that is incorrectly happening in the current build. Wulf - no, that functionality doesn't yet work. Regarding the ammo, it's probably possible to swap the partially-full clip into the belt slot vacated by the fresh clip rather than discarding it. Problem is that it'll appear as a fresh clip in the UI tho, so you'll think you have a reload available but that clip might actually only hold 1 bullet. Not necessarily a big problem tho. ApolloZani - hmm, personally I find the TU / HP much easier to read than before now, so it's interesting you think differently. Regarding the soldier health, I must admit I've been wondering if using green for the health rather than the previous red was a mistake and makes it harder to identify which bar is which. It's easy to update so I might consider changing it.
  3. Bobit

Replay mode?

This is always nice. But could be especially difficult when you consider that bullets are simulated. Most games don't do it because it's more trouble than it's worth, and for this game it's extra trouble.
  4. I don't know if someone is interested, but would be great to watch replays of every mission, i think we all had have epic missions with really intense moments, winning with only 1 soldier, killing a lot of aliens with only 1 rocket etc etc. Would be great if you could save the replay of that mission, so you can share it with other people or simply save it to watch and live again that emotion
  5. roxxed

[V5 General] Rank Structure

This. Perhaps there can only ever be one top ranking official that has a major benefit if deployed in combat so you must take care of him. If he dies, its a strategic value to get your next best guy promoted through training to gain an edge for your team. Could work for the top 2 or 3 ranks so they have more team merit/special ability other than the general number of missions and stats gained.
  6. Steelpoint

I've also personally found if iffy when we have a military team where the entire frontline troops rank from Captain to Major or beyond, I never knew we were making entire fire teams out of Officers only. I appreciated the original XCOM's rank system where the highest ranks are limited to the amount of troops you have and you can't have too many officers. You can have plenty of Squaddies and Sergeants but only a limited amount of Captains and only one Commander. Even if its more so superficial. I know this is more fluff and aesthetics. Perhaps if there was a system where you can designate a certain amount of sufficiently higher troops into 'officer' roles that grant them a minor bravery/morale boost and confer that to other soldiers on a mission, but that's getting a bit extensive for a simple system.
  7. I think the ideas are generally good, which was why I was a bigger fan of the XCom Apocalypse than any of the other games, since the effects of what you did got you enemies in the city, that attacked you. And there was the cult that supported the aliens and so on. These enemies tried to support the ufos when they came, so always an unkown to keep you on your feet. These types of games have huge potentials, but unfortunately games become easier and easier these days. HOI is a good example. Have huge hopes for this game, like the first one, since it mimic the originals, hope this sequel doesn't end in a confusing mix of Fallout Shelter and other games, that is not Xcom. Properly just me, but got a little worried when I saw the base first time here.
  8. Thanks guys, I'll ask the coders to check this out for the hotfix.
  9. Ninothree

Why do stats need to relate to levels of promotion? A colonel is not necessarily the one with the most speed / accuracy / strength. A colonel is the one who serves well over time and gets promoted the most by their superiors. Ranks are there in Xenonauts just as characters have levels in any RPG. It is to give a sense of progression. Getting promoted is superficial. Instead of calling your soldiers lvl 1, lvl 2 ... they are given military titles. In effect, all the soldiers are grunts as it is the player who gives the commands. The same is true with the alien side - there is no evidence of a properly proportioned hierarchy of ranks and taking out the leader doesn't achieve much. There is no chain of command. The aliens' ranks are determined by the difficulty setting. A harder level means you have more high-stat aliens, and high-stat aliens are signified by a higher rank.
  10. In most military structures, within small units, there must be a leader to give orders to their subordinates. So having 5 captains in one small unit would lead to command problems. So we would need to find a mechanism to advance the system of promotion, within the game! If the increase of stats could lead to a soldier being able for promotion, that person would need to attend training, to reach that next level of command. I hope that this discussion, would lead to ideas, on finding a more realistic way of advancing our virtual troops to higher rank level in the game.
  11. So, I am not entirely sure if this crash is due to an error in the map or something I have done. What I did was on small farm map (probe UFO), put a sniper next to the window in the barn in the corner try diagonally aiming nearly across whole map with Ctrl-key to see what I could theoretically hit (how far behind hedges/low buildings I would need to aim to shoot behind them) this involved several time scrolling and pressing/releasing Ctrl key crash happened (I think) right after releasing Ctrl key. Maybe I also moved the mouse while doing so. Logfile seems to indicate that the collision check algorithm tries to check a tile that does not exist: output.zip Edit: Actually managed to reroduce the crash a few times now. I now think that it happens when I get the game somehow to calculate a trajectory to the outside of the map. The fact that this is even possible, might be related to the broken shot preview. What I did to reproduce: load the Quicksave.zip - it is from near the beginning of the mission before reaching the barn with the selected soldier (seems not to matter who), aim upwards (relative to the camera-perspective in the savefile) in the darkness by holding the Ctrl key, like seen in screenshot at some point, there will be the edge of the map in the north (noticable by crosshair disappearing) now try to get close to the edge (might involve some releasing and pressing to Ctrl key) at some spot (difficult to tell exactly), if there is pressed and held Ctrl while pointing still inside the map and then the cursor moved upwards outside of the map, the game will crash
  12. This also happened to me during a raid that aliens were conducting in South America. I had just gotten the combat shield technology done and had the engineers craft 2 of them for my assault troops. Clicking on either caused a pile of red text to immediately flare up on the screen (which I could not take a screen shot of) and then shortly afterwards the game CTD'ed. Alternatively, I tried using the TAB function to go from soldier to soldier instead of Mouse Click Select, but the same problem occurred when I would cycle to one of the shielded assault units.
  13. Last week
  14. Challenge

New Combat UI Discussion & Feedback

For some reason, even after a new upload I have the same, old UI. and not this one. I picked the game up from Xsolla this month. Does that make a difference? Nev er mind. Just read the issue with Xsolla. Return now to your regularly scheduled critique.
  15. Ruggerman

I thought the UI has some merit, but as you move the mouse courser over the screen it can change the active soldier, so when you try the crouch it may not be the soldier you think is active. So you have to re-click that soldier to make sure it is the one you actually want to crouch, it might be one the courser has changed with out you knowing!!
  16. The alien in the screenshot is unconscious from gas but still displayed standing. Notably it was walking there before going unconscious, so it might be some kind of leftover of the issue that lead to the alien ai lock in earlier versions. I sent an F11-Report, too in this state. Additionally I made a savefile, but after loading the savefile, there were suddenly all 3 of the unconscious aliens standing again, not just the one in the screenshot. (might be a seperate bug with the Ground combat save, similar to the soldiers not being crouched after loading). Seems only dead aliens/Xenonauts get their correct animation after loading a GC save and everything not dead will be play the standing idle animation even if another one would be correct. Savefile: unconscious_alien_standing.zip Screenshot:
  17. Seems there was introduced some new logic how smoke / gas clouds spread (so they can get higher if there is more gas etc). However combinations of touching clouds of different types produce weird graphical glitches now. In this example the area where my soldier is standing is smoked, while the area where the aliens are standing is gassed. I seperated both areas with a line. However after throwing the gas near my smoke (smoke was there first), it suddenly looked like the smoke area would contain gas, too. Additionally, this was not like some mix with transparancy, but rather more some disco-like blinking where somtimes the smoke clouds were in foreground, somtimes the gas clouds. (in second screenshot what is in foreground is different). It seems just graphical though, non of my soldiers dropped unconscious. just aliens. I made a savfile in this state: touching_gas_smoke_bug.zip Later I did add some more gas and HEVY smoke to the mix which made the chaos complete. Still the only fire burning really is the one from the first screenshot (came from HEVY explosive grenade), but the graphics showed more fires burning near my soldiers now (and blinking, too) - last 2 screenshots:
  18. This happened after some soldier died. Most of the UI looks correct, but there is no generic placeholder texture where the flag is displayed if a soldier is selected, so it is just the bright purple:
  19. wulf 21

Secondaries

As opposed to X1, the secondary weapon can be fired without spending additional TU to move it to primary slot (which is impossible as you found out, the weapons have a designated slot type and cannot be moved to the other slot). With the new UI, you need to use the crosshair buttons above secondary weapon to fire it and it should automatically be used for overwatch when appropriate and you can disable the overwatch for primary weapon via the eye-symbol if you want overwatch fire only from secondary weapon. However this does not seem to be fully implemented, yet. See this post (the second part where chris answered my post): I already asked a follow-up question because it is not quite clear to me, what part exactly is not fully implemented, but I guess in current version there is no way to get overwatch fire from secondary weapon.
  20. This was indeed answered in same thread Chris linked already. (question asked by Bobit). Maybe they have to rephrase the introduction sentence in release announcement in a way that everyone knows how it is meant without telling the whole game release story again. But to recap: first only kick starter backers who were eligible for closed beta got a Steam/GOG key (depending on preference) then when the announced early access date could not be met, the other kickstarter backers who were promised it got their Steam/GOG key Xsolla deal was intoduced to allow interested people play the closed beta before early access release on Steam/GOG. The deal is you can play closed beta via Xsolla and get a Steam/GOG key as soon as the game is released to early access (and I believe this was made clear before buying hopefully). So you see, the sentence that "closed beta Version X was released on Steam GOG and Xsolla" is there because some people already have their Steam/GOG keys, but it does NOT mean that everyone who bought the game can play it on Steam right now.
  21. Challenge

Secondaries

Looking for clarity on using the secondary equipment slot. Using the med kit is pretty obvious, but putting a weapon there makes it a touch confusing. It seems that the SMG being used as a secondary by the sniper can't become a primary weapon under any circumstance. My sniper entered the UFO along with the rest of the team. Once inside I wanted to change out the sniper rifle for the SMG, but that didn't seem to work. I was able to put the rifle into the backpack, but couldn't move the SMG up to primary. I get that it's a weapon/slot designation thing, but once I click on the secondary and move on to the next soldier will the choice be remembered for op fire when the time comes? And while I'm thinking of op fire, in Xeno-1, iirc, it would stage to the highest TU/best shot available and move up as TU got used up. Does it still do that?
  22. Thank you Chris. In another post it was said that 'Closed Beta Build V5 has now been released on Steam..." I have gone into my Steam account and I cannot figure out how to enable access to this via Steam instead of Xsolla. No doubt this has been commented upon in another post somewhere but I am having trouble finding information on this. Would you please point to me to the necessary information I need? Untitled.bmp
  23. Yeah, the UI update fixed some of the reloading bugs but we didn't change the underlying game logic so other issues still persist. There's already a task for the ground combat programmer to fix up about 6 known issues that will hopefully resolve these problems, but they're unlikely to get in for the hotfix - so I suggest you wait until V6 and then report any bugs you encounter with the inventory and reloading.
  24. Chris

Yeah, the medal system will be coming back. It's already partially implemented, we just need to set it up. The rank structure isn't a bug, though - it's not broken, it just works differently from how you'd like it to work. If you want to discuss it then create a thread in the General Discussion forums.
  25. I replied to your question here. The issue will be fixed when the Xsolla technical team figure out why their servers aren't picking up the changes correctly; hopefully early next week but unfortunately it's not something we have any control over.
  26. Steelpoint

The medic bag caught me off guard, I assumed it functioned akin to X1 and it took me a bit to notice the smaller medical icon on the HUD. Having a full upper body image of my selected soldier felt a bit off putting but that's just personal preference, the UI nonetheless felt functional and informative, seeing a very clear usage of TU's on the HUD based on my selected actions prior to doing them did prove helpful
  27. wulf 21

So I take it that it is not currently working like this? Because I just had an instance where I disabled overwatch via icon for sniper and left the SMG enabled. But the soldier reaction fired (and missed) with sniper anyway. (shot subtracted from sniper ammo) - so he was using the weapon that was currently in his hands. Additionally I found something where the new UI produces a different result than what I would expect from intuition: Previously to load different ammo type in weapon, it was necessary to change magazines via inventory window (which is still possible but somewhat bugged - see the bug report https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19858-v21-v5-ground-combat-reloading-for-freelow-tu-crashes/). In this case you got to keep the not empty magazine with the current ammo type (if you do not throw it to the ground). I expected that reloading another ammo type like HEVY smoke rounds with new UI would do that, too. But it deletes the non empty magazine just like the old reload function. It should be somewhat more unified, so reloading with the new UI button and with inventory window works the same (preferably so non-empty magazines never get deleted, maybe the 2 options you have in inventory screen - throw to ground or put to belt (swap) could be somehow integrated into new UI so throw to ground is the option with lower TU cost).
  1. Load more activity