All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. IMPORTANT to use this mod u have to delete any reference to the new buildigs from reserch and building.xlm to avoid the black tile bug during the attack base missions. u should fix the statistics of the improved lasers too, because them are the same of the ballistic ones
  3. Today
  4. I would seriously love a way to utilize the captured aliens using non-lethal weapons. The last game is just so disappointing with you executing any survivors. I remembered a session where using just gas grenades I knocked out like 4 sebilians and 1 ceasan, I thought I was going to get some new research options but instead all of them get shot after the mission. There should be also some way of non lethal take down for civilians as well so that they wouldn’t get killed by reapers all the time.
  5. These are great suggestions especially the movement of JA2. I have always see JA2 as the gold standard for turn-based strategy game movements. Also having a lethal option for a melee weapons should be great. Starting with just a mono molecular edge knife or sword made with alien alloys to plasma torches and with something equivalent to 40k power weapons where the blade project a magnetic field that weaken molecular bonds wherever it hits.
  6. Normally, you don't delete threads because no one has commented on them for a while. For that reason, I had already left most of my thoughts on armour here in the forum, and had thought they'd be taken into account along with the feedback of other users, which seems to be contrary to this system. I've been too busy IRL and worrying about the pandemic to pay much attention to the forum, sorry to say. In general, the fact the thread only generated 8 replies over months is kind of odd.... Maybe people didn't understand the system well enough to comment on it (I can only speculate, since the thread was deleted)? Clearly, it's not that we lack people who have an interest in armour mechanics, as there was quite a bit of discussion here about exactly that.
  7. Max_Caine

In the Defence of Armour

A quick reminder to everybody, address the arguments made, not the person behind them. I'm not going to speak for Chris - he's more than capable of speaking for himself. What I can say is that the post regarding his proposed armour system was put up Feb 26, the last reply to it was March 12, and it has only been removed at some point in May, so there were at least 2 months where it sat for anyone to have a look and comment on. If it's going to sit uncommented on for a month and a half and only garner 8 comments in the time it was up, then the interest from the community in a fundamental system really wasn't there now, was it?
  8. @ Squaddie: That dosen´t matter. An Update is an Update!!!! Now we know whats comming and we Betas can adjust to it in Beta 14. And we have a nice Side Effect: Everything I have announced in an other Part for Xenonauts 2 here is comming exactly as predictet. That´s why I sayd to Chris to go the Way the Team was going as Development begunn. Now a Release is about End 2021 possible and Early Access Beginning 2021. But the new Oportunits the Team have now to upgrade Maps, UFO´s and much more with the external Helpers is a great Advantage for Xenonauts 2. But the Disadvantages are comming up there too. It´s much re-implementation from X1 which I read and that isn´t good. OK it´s 3D now in the most cases, but many of the Gamers / Players have the same bad feeling like me that would happen. And it happens indeed. Secondly the complete rebuild of Maps and so on extend the Development Time for 1 more Year to get an Final Game, if we get lucky (Mid 2021). But I let me surprise, maybe we will get an super Product after that changes. The already implemented things we have for the Geoscape and the new things that get implemented in the last Month for Geoscape, Equipment, Soldiers etc. let´s hope to get an new Xenonauts-Feeling with refited X1-Implementations. The new Betatests with Beta 14 (announced refited UFO´s, Maps etc.) will show it. In Beta 13 we will Test the new implemented Geoscape-Implementations and such on the existing Maps, UFO´s etc, which will be the last old Betatest. After that, we get an second Newstart for Beta-Testing, which is very interessting. The first Newstart for Beta-Test were after the complete Change from announced Atlas-Base to the new (old X1) Base-Building-System (Beta 7 or so). I say 2021 as Release because UFO2ET shows how to do it correctly. The Beta-Testers here found over 2.000 Bugs and the Devs couldn´t fix them all before Release in May 2020. So the Devs make a choose to extend the Release for 3 Month more (to September 2020). If we Betas should do our Tests correctly, then an Release not before Autom 2021 has to be announced incl. Early Access.
  9. Just to expand on the final section of my update, I have decided to release a new build in the near future before we start breaking all the existing maps. I'll let you know when to expect the build once I've got a few more research reports done. Oh, yeah - whooops! Fixed that now
  10. Bobbit: What's the point of replying to me, if you're going to ignore half of my points, then quote pieces out of context so you can then respond to arguments I never made like, "you don't like shred"? This is especially weird, considering you also seem to be very disenchanted with the system you are arguing for.... If even the proponents of the new system don't particularly like it, that is very damning indeed. If 'nothing' was leaving the system the same as X1, I would say this is worse than nothing. Worse than that, they ignored all the feedback in this thread, which was far more extensive and probably with more user opinions. I often worry that developers are not paying attention to community forums, that I waste my time. This appears to confirm it, where the very few people who happened to be around while the thread was up were the only ones who got any say. Apparently, one of them did bring up the same problems I did, and he was ignored... so I guess it doesn't matter. ....And seriously, why on Earth was the discussion scrubbed, so that no one even knew about this system until Caine was kind enough to tell us? We don't get to see the feedback or share in the discussion that was posed in those 8 replies, nor do we get to see the workings of the system. So, we're literally having to go off of second-hand memory, because it was apparently considered to embarrassing to remain public?
  11. TrashMan

In the Defence of Armour

That the entire system went by without enough feedback from the community is dishartening. Reading that description, I can't say I like that system. Still better then nothing.
  12. Surely this is a May update? April ended 4 weeks ago
  13. Shred was never realistic in the first place. Armor doesn't get weaker when you shoot it twice. It gets bent when you swing a mace at it, or melts when you shoot a plasma bolt at it, but how that actually affects it is pretty complicated.That argument can be made against any other XCOM system just as much as this one. Yes, tier-based shred values with no deviation within tiers are bad. But that's not inherent to the system. The "level" word implies that, it's a terrible word. I think the intention with these sort of abstractions is to make it simple for player who just want to say "oh this gun has more anti-armor capability than the other" and don't care for the numbers, while keeping it strategically complex especially for the players that have to know everything. I don't agree with this design philosophy, because it's incredibly bad for the players in between who want to know the numbers without asking on the forums, but it is a pretty prevalent one. For example in MMOs, MOBAs, Dark Souls, Skyrim all the armour uses a complex formula that the game pretends is simple for the lazy players. ...so you don't like shred? It's a pretty interesting mechanic in X-Division and some OpenXCOM mods. Makes anti-andron strategy more complex, largely because you have to have one unit shoot before another, the same way that shotguns+stun are interesting together. And veteran players are used to it by now, so that part is not added complexity. Again, the purpose of the system is that weapons change roles from penetration to shred throughout the game depending on their tech level. You don't always use a ballistic minigun to shred. You use a plasma rifle to shred tanks or a laser rifle to pierce tanks. Then later in the game you use anti-matter for shred and plasma for pierce. Or if you see a very high-armor enemy, you have to resort to only using piercing weapons and your low-caliber weapons are completely irrelevant unless you brought C4 and position it very well. I hope you get some of what I'm saying. While resistance and armor is there to make certain weapons obviously bad against certain enemimes, shred is there to make certain weapons bad against certain enemies under certain conditions. It can bypass armor but you have to have a strategy of prepping the target, and different targets will require being prepped different ways, you can't cover all the corner cases with 100% effectiveness. I'm not saying this system is the best way to do that, but it does work.
  14. Doctor Snidely is the Bae

In the Defence of Armour

So is the "real armour" the system implemented in X1? Because if so, I see no reason to change it.
  15. ToBeContinued

[v1.08] Skitso's Femonauts

Unrealistic? You have got to be joking. Not everyone has the same exact physical make up. Seriously, I'm surprised you have lived this long.
  16. Yesterday
  17. Doctor Snidely is the Bae

Xenonauts-2 May Update (including Discord server link)

Oh, I see. I read that far too quickly
  18. Strange but good that problem is solved, at least for now
  19. I'm afraid you're misunderstanding, it's not about several dropships on a single mission, it's about the game having multiple types of dropships in the first place, X1 style.
  20. Ok, so, I reinstalled the mod for the fourth time so I could screenshot the error messages, and in an odd turn of events, the download completed without any interruptions or errors. Out of curiosity I booted up the game to see if the problem had magically solved itself, and sure enough, as soon as I had one of my guys run out of the Chinook, a Caesean blasted him in the face. I have no idea what fixed it since I had installed it the same way as the last three times, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for your help anyways.
  21. Max_Caine

In the Defence of Armour

The one thing I will say is that at the time, Solver raised similar concerns and it has been quite a long time since the post was first made. I don't imagine that the fundamental concepts would have changed that much but the way that they are implemented may have changed. This is pretty much a case of wait-and-see once v13 comes out.
  22. Doctor Snidely is the Bae

Xenonauts-2 May Update (including Discord server link)

Wow! I'm impressed, especially with the artwork and the alternate win conditions. I'm also glad that you guys are reaching out to the community more (although that's never really been a problem), so hi Paul! Would someone mind filling me in/linking a thread about the multiple dropships and UFOs? If it's as cool as it sounds, I'm totally on board. It would make a lot of ground missions feel much more like dedicated, Iceland Incident-style combat rather than the small skirmishes that were the mainstay of X1. Of course, this begs the next question: Do you guys have any plans for dropship-based weaponry (door gunners, rocket launchers out the front of the ship) or features (your pilots can give a general overview of the terrain as they come in, or at least tell you "Hey, there's a couple of hungry-looking Reapers out our viewscreen"? Whatever direction you guys decide to take the game, I'm sure it will be amazing!
  23. That was my general understanding of it. But, your exact description contradicts Max's summary: Clearly, my issue is not what it is called.... The mechanic was difficult for Max to explain, as it was unintuitive. My comment was about what the system boiled down to, which is simple level-appropriate weaponry mechanics, as the unintuitive details of how it works do not matter seeing as there is nothing innately good about complex nonsense. What is this meant to be? Realistic? Intuitive? I'm not even sure how this is meant to be tactical or interesting. Are we expected to shoot aliens with Level 5 BMGs to shred their armour, and then send in guys with SMGs to take them out? And should the SMGs be level 5, or does level not matter once you destroy their armour? I'm not sure how that'll work out mathematically, if we're using % based armour... will the alien tank half the damage of a .50 cal rifle? Like, say a tank came over the hill: Should you shoot it with another tank, and then send in a wave of riflemen to kill the tank, because you destroyed its armour? By the time we get a scenario for what you are doing and why with this mechanic, it starts to feel like we're incorporating Tail Whip from Pokemon into the game (which also reduces the armour of your opponent). But Tail Whip made sense and worked within its context, it was well designed for Pokemon, whereas awkward and forced mechanics tend to make gameplay feel forced and awkward. The thread contains some excellent ideas on how to deal with armour shredding and simulate those details. It would be very clumsy if we said titanium was level 5, steel was level 4, and wood was level 1. This is not a good system. In a game about simulating how long it takes to stand up or turn around, with modelling of suppression fire, we're suddenly adding in mechanics so gamey, complex, and weird, that not even FIRAXCOM would touch them. It's not going to be simple for players. They're going to have to think about what % of what types of damage is reduced by that character's armour, while remembering the current HP of that armour. If they get hit by a level 4 weapon compared to their level 2 armour, its penetration and shred values go up by X%, they should try to remember. Oh, and don't forget that 30% of weapon damage hurts your armour's HP. So players will just equip the highest level weapons and armour they can get, and won't understand why they win or lose, aside from having bigger numbers.
  24. I think you misunderstand. Armor has HP but it only absorbs maybe 50% of damage and the portion of that damage which actually reduces the armor rather than being wasted is like 30%, which is the same system as X1. The level mechanic has a dumb name, but that doesn't mean it's some "horrible MMORPG" thing, nor is it as simple as you think. It's a new system, a way of merging the stats "penetration" and "shred". IIRC with +1 level differential (e.g. lvl 4 weapon and lvl 3 armor) you get most of your penetration, but you need to reach +3 level to get most of your shred. So very high-caliber rounds will shred armor altogether allowing any weapon to deal more damage to the target, while moderate-caliber will pierce which is effective only for that one shot. As opposed to the odd behavior you see in most games (X1 included) where miniguns and shotguns are the best shredders due entirely to high rate of fire and low damage. Or the gamey behavior you see in XCOM2 and Phoenix Point where shred is a fixed value regardless of whether you're shredding wood or titanium. Positional damage is a little odd if it uses realspace rather than rolling randomly regardless of your firing angle, because the game doesn't give you any info about realspace trajectories. But otherwise it's a really good system. Certainly more complex, but it aims to fix problems in the genre, and it has the appearance of being simple which is nice for some players (not me).
  25. I suppose this post is for Paul primarily (welcome!) - great to see a Discord server go up, but it should be mentioned that a community Xenonauts server has been around for a couple of years. It's not a big server but does have some recognizable people from the X1 community, so it would perhaps make sense to merge the two, or reach out on the old server and let them know that an official one now exists?
  26. I wish that this thread had been taken into account. There are 25 replies in it, since January, and none of them appear to have spoken in favour of using armour as an HP buff, or having it reduce damage by a percentage. The mass consensus was for a more logical, simple, and realistic damage reduction model. X2's armour and weapon level system sounds like it came from some horrible MMORPG.... It's confusing if you try to think about it, but really it's just dumb and simple: "That enemy is too high a level for you, grind more level 1 alien scouts until you level up." I'm amazed such a decision was made with barely any feedback.... Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and filling us in, Max. It was very kind of you. It's not easy being the bearer of bad news.
  27. Chris

Xenonauts-2 April Update

Yup, there's a new update out here: Not a firm EA date yet, but still some interesting news there!
  28. Max_Caine

In the Defence of Armour

Again, unfortunately I can't - Chris has wiped all the threads I guess in prep for the upcoming version. However, I can do a summary: Locational Damage Raher than weapons doing 50-150% of damage, a body location is randomly chosen and has a damage multiplier depending on the body part. The examples given varied from 50% to 200%. at the moment, all locational damage will do is determine the damage multiplier but Chris has suggsted that this can form the skeleton of a more complex system which could become DLC later down the line. Armour HP Armour provides a squaddie a seperate pool of Armour HP that absorbs damage before the unit takes damage to their own HP. Armour HP is s permanently used when it stops damage, so 20 Armour HP is only ever going to prevent 20 incoming damage. Resistances The current armour system, which is a percent deduction from the damage caused by the weapon will still be present, this represents natural or implied resistances, e.g. wearing a rebreather will give 100% damage resistance to gas-type weapons. Weapon Level & Armour Level So, this is the complicated bit. It had me scratching my head at the time. All weapons and armour is assigned a "level". When the projectile from a weapon collides with armour, the weapon "level" and the armour "level" are compared. If the weapon "level" is higher than the armour "level" the weapon projectile gains an armour penetration bonus which ignores reistance and armour HP, if the armour "level" is higher than the weapon "level", a percentage of the damage is ignored. The degree of the bonus that either the weapon or the armour gets is dependant on the difference betwen the weapon and the armour. E.G. If starting heavy armour had an armour level of 2, and the starting alien MAG pistol had a weapon level of 1, then the armour is 1 level higher than the weapon and gains a relatively small bonus, say, 30% of damage is ignored in addition to any natural resistances. However, if an alien plasma rifle had a weapon level of 5, then the weapon is 3 levels higher than the armour, and gains a much larger bonus, say, 90% of damage penetrates the armour and ignores armour HP and resistances.
  1. Load more activity