(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V4.0 - "SilverDragon" (New Aliens, Weapons and More!)

same thing, except mine was half squad...

i still have the experimental branch active, should i delete the game for the base version?

edit/ oh well going for a clean install.

some random thoughts on the mod:

-the challenge is very high, corvette ufo are almost a no-no to all my troops, because all the ballistics weapons i have don't have much stopping power to penetrate that damn reaper armor... figures when the beast showed up; i like it very much, but it seems quite frustrating to re-hire 5-6 operatives all the time. :D

2014-06-02_00002.jpg

-i'm at the landingship mark and my men still have only the basic armor, not improved one; probably will be unlocked if i get some androns, but i only fought the other basic alien type.

- air combat is fun as always.

2014-06-02_00002.jpg

2014-06-02_00002.thumb.jpg.7beaddc4bd005

Edited by Guyver

I have a feeling a clean install won't help. We will probably have to wait for a vanilla fix.

I got the error even though I reintalled the game. The only viable thing you can do right now is try to save the game before ending the mission (too bad if it's ironman) as the chance that your injured soldiers die seems to be random.

some random thoughts on the mod:

-the challenge is very high, corvette ufo are almost a no-no to all my troops, because all the ballistics weapons i have don't have much stopping power to penetrate that damn reaper armor... figures when the beast showed up; i like it very much, but it seems quite frustrating to re-hire 5-6 operatives all the time. :D.

Thanks for you comments!

This mod has lot of tricks! First of all I have some questions, Which kind of weapons did you develop? Did you capture a caesan and a sebillian in lighter UFOs?

Deal with the first corvette can be a very difficult task but this is my help and walkthrought:

- Keep in mind that some UFOs, specially Ground combat and terror missions Corvettes are VERY HARD. Consider retreat until you have better tech.

- Advanced ballistics can be very help full, but first of all you need research Jackal Armor as priority to improve soldiers resilience. Put on priority task Research Alien Rifle, Pistol and Alloys.

- Is very important in early UFOs take prisioners, use at least 3 Flashbangs with Non-combatants to capture Caesan and Sebillians.

- The Delta Viper is a Huge hard opponent, but he has some weakness. First take distance and cover, wipe all other enemies and lesser Vipers. Bring rocket launcher EVER in corvette missions. Develop Warhawks and Thunderbolt Assault weapons.

I am taking note of all your playtesting to bring an Balance Update!

Yes the mod is hard! You need to use to play it lot of times to learn about Tech Trees and weapons.

keep playing!

Wait,how exactly flashban can knock out alien?I barely used them because aliens in this mod expected Ceaeans are highly resilient or immune to suppression.One more question, is it intentional that walking through the smoke stuns soldier when he enters in smoke cloud or it's old annoying vanilla bug all over again.

Wait,how exactly flashban can knock out alien?I barely used them because aliens in this mod expected Ceaeans are highly resilient or immune to suppression.One more question, is it intentional that walking through the smoke stuns soldier when he enters in smoke cloud or it's old annoying vanilla bug all over again.

I set this for smoke, because is toxic and soldiers receive damage by passing trough smoke. is too annoying?

EDIT/ In XNT aliens is supposed not to be suited for earth enviroment, smoke, fire, sound and light make damage to them. Flashbangs can know down a non combatant sebillian or caesan easy. Some techs require this first aliens to be developed.

Well guess what i only noticed this few minutes ago i managed to captured Viper (It's registered as "Reaper research") in some of my early combat mission... now i can skip Alien biology and go to Alien Integration research and how did I manage to do that I have absolutely no idea (If i only have noticed this earlier).

Edit:I though this was "bug" that bother people before,I will get use to it,so no it's not that annoying (I am talking about smoke).

Edited by Sentelin

Look at screenshot.Pay attention on what-to-research list and you will see among it Reaper Analysis,Alien Interrogation and Alien Biology all together.And my objective right now is instead of "capture alien","complete interrogation research".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3970[/ATTACH]

Edited by Sentelin

Look at screen shoot.Pay attention on what-to-research list and you will see among it Reaper Analysis,Alien Interrogation and Alien Biology all together.And my objective right now is instead of "capture alien","complete interrogation research".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3970[/ATTACH]

Invalid attachment o.O

But it never happened before ... not without gas grenades and gas rockets.Question is how did i manage to capture alive Viper so early without them.

Yes its possible, in fact possible, aliens biology is not suited for earth environment as I say. Alien Biology research ts necessary and mandatory to capture Officers.

How do you know that you a nerd?

The YouTube Video name is shortened to "XNT 4.0 Into Darkness mod Dealing with Delta V..."

And my first thought was "How the hell TC implemented astrodynamics in XNT?" xD

Delta V (Δv) means (in easy mode) change in velocity in orbital maneuvers ^^

Thanks for you comments!

This mod has lot of tricks! First of all I have some questions, Which kind of weapons did you develop? Did you capture a caesan and a sebillian in lighter UFOs?

Deal with the first corvette can be a very difficult task but this is my help and walkthrought:

- Keep in mind that some UFOs, specially Ground combat and terror missions Corvettes are VERY HARD. Consider retreat until you have better tech.

- Advanced ballistics can be very help full, but first of all you need research Jackal Armor as priority to improve soldiers resilience. Put on priority task Research Alien Rifle, Pistol and Alloys.

- Is very important in early UFOs take prisioners, use at least 3 Flashbangs with Non-combatants to capture Caesan and Sebillians.

- The Delta Viper is a Huge hard opponent, but he has some weakness. First take distance and cover, wipe all other enemies and lesser Vipers. Bring rocket launcher EVER in corvette missions. Develop Warhawks and Thunderbolt Assault weapons.

I am taking note of all your playtesting to bring an Balance Update!

Yes the mod is hard! You need to use to play it lot of times to learn about Tech Trees and weapons.

keep playing!

thanks for the tips!

the problem was the tech tree: i didn't find any laser pistol so i couldn't progress in the tree for the protection... the later alien units arrived while i was still naked in front of them; now the challenge is still high but i can manage with laser, advanced ballistic and jackal.

the vanilla game was kinda boring after few mission and learning the pattern of the aliens, now with this mod i'm actually scared going in a terror/crash mission! :D

Just watched your heavy corvette video, and for what it's worth, my two cents:

1. You've certainly come a long way since I last watched one of your videos!

2. Vipers and delta viper are cool as hell, but their AI needs work. In your video they run past targets without attacking, or stop in positions where they're highly vulnerable, and even end their turn sitting in flames. I would think you need to adjust their pathing parameters for avoiding enemy LOS and damage-inflicting props, and only attempt to attack (like reapers in the vanilla game) when they have the TUs to actually do so.

3. I don't know what the weapon is that the caesans are firing (that explodes in a large semi-transparent blue ball) but it seems to be inflicting very little damage? You see the big explosion, hear the cool sound effect, but nobody gets hurt?

4. I notice your shield guys are repeatedly attempting low-percentage pistol shots rather than trying to toss their alenium grenades. Did you nerf grenade damage when you increased the throwing range? Why are you giving preference to your pistols...?

Keep up the good work!

Hello Dpelectric, nice to see you around :D

Ill answer this points that you put on the table

Just watched your heavy corvette video, and for what it's worth, my two cents:

1. You've certainly come a long way since I last watched one of your videos!

And Im glad you see one of the last build ^^

2. Vipers and delta viper are cool as hell, but their AI needs work. In your video they run past targets without attacking, or stop in positions where they're highly vulnerable, and even end their turn sitting in flames. I would think you need to adjust their pathing parameters for avoiding enemy LOS and damage-inflicting props, and only attempt to attack (like reapers in the vanilla game) when they have the TUs to actually do so.

Depend, I work for weeks on Vipers AI and believe me they are hard as hell. If you dont believe me try the mod and see the nightmare that they cause in GC. They have lot of parameters of avoiding LOS but I know the system and how its work. In this video I can be for sure:

- The map help me a lot! The presence of water pools give me lot of advantage

- I flank enemy position! That make harder for Vipers hide in cover, they have range sight 25 so I put some soldiers out of his sight to make long shots.

- They have no other option the map has too much long spots, the much that they try to do is flank me in cover an jump in my back.

- This is not my first corvette, is my 4th. The first one was a mess.... I lose 4 of my starting veterans soldiers :/

3. I don't know what the weapon is that the caesans are firing (that explodes in a large semi-transparent blue ball) but it seems to be inflicting very little damage? You see the big explosion, hear the cool sound effect, but nobody gets hurt?

This weapon is the vortex proyector, is a explosive weapon that can hurt humans too much. Is a alien weapon of the mod. Is in developement right now, in the current version this weapon has a bug. I have this weapon ready right now... its a nightmare. :/

4. I notice your shield guys are repeatedly attempting low-percentage pistol shots rather than trying to toss their alenium grenades. Did you nerf grenade damage when you increased the throwing range? Why are you giving preference to your pistols...? Keep up the good work!

The laser pistol Warhawk is a special weapon of the mod in aimed shots this weapon is awesome and the heavy pistol bullets deal tons of damage. With that Im attempting to put down a Caesan in safe range.

In short I'm a tricker, because I know the game well enough to deal with things in certain way.

Because of this I ask players to run some playtest and give me their experiences.

The game in this mod is HARD, is too hard...

I will be glad if you test it and give us yoru comments. Better if I upload the update that I had plan right now.