Soldier Equip Screen Crash

If you start a fresh game I believe the occurrence is lower, from memory it took a few ground missions to cause the crash. I will restart a new game after this one I'm in now, where after every mission it seems the loadout button crashes my game. (mid/late-game atm)

Reloading the savegame fixes the issue of cause, so really this is just some sort of memory leak/glitch occurring rather then a outright static code error.

For what it's worth, the fix included with 1.03 (apparently involving disabling air superiority missions) completely solved the problem for me. Previously I would crash 80% of the time clicking the Equip Soldiers button, with the fix I haven't crashed in half a dozen hours of gameplay no matter what I do. So there are clearly multiple triggers to a similar problem.

Finally experienced this crash for myself. Trying to reproduce it using the savegame from just before (an autosave) failed, but here's the gist of what led up to the crash:

- Launched Xenonauts, loaded a save from the very beginning of a ground combat mission (industrial, light scout, caesans; veteran difficulty)

- Completed the mission (playtime ~30 min, lost 3 men due to unexpectedly clever AI and bad luck)

- Back on the Geoscape, re-loaded the same savegame from before, replayed the mission (again, ~30 min playtime, lost 1 man to tactical blunders, acceptable loss)

- Returning to the Geoscape, immediatly ordered 1 replacement soldier, then accelerated time til Charlie was home

- Tried going to Soldier Equipment screen, CTD

No friendly fire during the ground combat, but several 'nauts had to be healed from bleeding wounds.

No intermittent saves (except autosaves).

v1.03, Steam version (though launched outside Steam), no mods installed.

Edited by TasothCommander

I'm happy to announce that the bug is now fixed! ;)

If you are curious: the issue happened if the last soldier whose inventory was opened last in ground combat died during the mission (which was the case of the healers, as you surely opened their inventory to put the medkit in their hands). Save-loading reset that variable, so it was hard to see it

Thanks everybody for the collaboration on tracking this down, let's hope we don't see any other such elusive issues in the future!

I'm happy to announce that the bug is now fixed! ;)

If you are curious: the issue happened if the last soldier whose inventory was opened last in ground combat died during the mission (which was the case of the healers, as you surely opened their inventory to put the medkit in their hands). Save-loading reset that variable, so it was hard to see it

Thanks everybody for the collaboration on tracking this down, let's hope we don't see any other such elusive issues in the future!

Excellent! Glad you managed to find a fix.

EDIT: But... Why was I able to reproduce the crash with 100% consistency on one machine, and not on another? I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different when I tested it elsewhere. Not that it matters now, of course.

Edited by kabill

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started playing (first game ever). I'm getting repeated CTD every time I select Equipment-Other on the equipment screen. I have the Steam version (if that helps). I also tried installing the Lore+/FitH ModPack. I uninstalled/reinstalled after it happened a few times, but it is still occurring.

That's probably an issue with the mod. I've seen people report that before, but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. I've never had the problem myself and most people seem to be able to get the mod working fine.

When you uninstalled, did you delete the remaining files in the Xenonauts folder as well? When you uninstall the game, it won't remove files added by mods, so you need to manually remove the remainder. I imagine this is why you're getting the issue after reinstalling the game.