Xenonauts V1.0 Released!

So, this is it. This is when Xenonauts leaves beta and is set free into the wide world. The game is not officially "released" for another couple of weeks because we need to send out review copies in advance of the official release and get our PR work in order (there's also the small matter of writing the manual, porting to Mac / Linux and doing the Kickstarter rewards too).

But if you're playing the game on Windows and on Steam, the final game is now available to download. Any future updates will only be bugfixes for crash bugs or other bugs that break the game, with no further features to be added or balancing to be done in the near future.

If you encounter game-breaking bugs in the game, please post them in this thread...but please don't fill it with minor bugs. Basically, anything that causes a crash or ruins your game should go in here. There shouldn't be very many of them, but we'll continue to fix them if you encounter them. I will be creating a new thread for the game in two weeks time with the "official" release anyway so don't worry too much about cluttering it up.

EDIT - I've added a specific thread here to classify bugs and let you know what we're working on fixing: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/10232-Bugs-Issues-in-Xenonauts-V1-0

FINAL CHANGELOG:

- All save games are broken, hopefully for the last time.

- Save games should no longer be corrupted once you lose a mission.

- The roof / floor transparency bug is fixed.

- The bug where fire cursors did not appear on aliens standing outside but very close to UFOs has been fixed.

- Hidden Movement now properly tracks shots fired from aliens on higher levels.

- C4 / Plasma Charges are no longer detonated when the unit carrying them is killed with an explosive weapon.

- Quantum Cryptology Center information is no longer lost when a UFO is shot down and turns into a crash site.

- We've added a Quickstart Guide PDF to the game, which explains the basics of the game and has its own button on the Launcher. The first loading screen tip displayed now always refers to the Quickstart Guide.

- When a Xenonaut Base mission happens, the player is now taken to equip their soldiers before the mission begins.

- We've added a "Xenonauts Lost" and "Overall Casualty" line to the victory screen. Not as good as a soldier memorial screen, but better than nothing.

- We've replaced the briefing screen with some mission objective pop-ups that only appear once per game.

- There is now a notification if you need a certain alien to progress in the game (e.g. an Alien Leader) and there is one present on the mission

- Fighter UFOs no longer appear in the very first wave

- Shrike and Valkyrie now cost less alloys / alenium and build faster given their reduced carrying capacity

- Final mission has had four aliens removed from it to even the odds up now the Valkyrie holds less soldiers

- Xenonauts armours no longer have higher Incendiary resistance than Kinetic / Plasma

- Basic armour no longer has any Kinetic resistance, as this was preventing Xenonauts being affected by wayward flashbangs

- The Xenopedia entry for the Alien Base now only refers to a single power core

- The Hidden Movement screen PSD has been added to the game files so translators can translate it

- Advanced Medikit now displays tooltip correctly

That's it, chaps. By the way, if you were playing on V21 Stable and your save games have been wiped, it is possible to temporarily revert to the older version of the game to continue your playthrough. If you want to do that, the instructions are here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/7276-MY-SAVED-GAMES-DISAPPEARED%21-%28fix-in-here%29

Wow, sounds a pretty big thing! Baby leaves home and goes into the wild world.. Three hurray for us!

Today I asked for the first time Chris for a Steam key.. And I really have to say that I was almost moved seeing something I contributed to for the last 30 months downloading from one of the major gaming platforms in the world.

Thanks for all the support so far, community! You've been literally our strength, tireless helpers and motivation! :D

So everyone is going to get hold of the final copy immediately, you're not going to wait for the *official* release/reviews to coincide with releasing the final version to people already playing?

Seems like a solid way to kill another possible outlet for building excitement.

You're suggesting we should sit on a build which is mostly bugfixes and tutorials for two weeks in order to build excitement? It's hardly a quantum leap forwards from the build we released less than 24 hours ago.

^ And I thought I was a negative nancy. =/

It's a much better idea to push out the final build to players now instead of forcing them to wait until the PR and clean-up is done before they can start again. Some of us have been waiting for the day when we can play the latest stable through without worrying about constant changes and additions to the experimental branch. I'm sure this move won't kill any excitement.

Congrats to you and the team Chris, this is great news indeed.

So everyone is going to get hold of the final copy immediately, you're not going to wait for the *official* release/reviews to coincide with releasing the final version to people already playing?

Seems like a solid way to kill another possible outlet for building excitement.

Sounds like a solid way to reward people who have contributed, in one way or another, to the development of the game.

Saying "we have the final build, but you can't play it for two weeks" would be a bit lame, no? And, better to have people playing and raving about the final version, I'd have thought. Word of mouth matters a lot in the games industry, or so is my understanding.

(Plus, presumably someone still needs to bug-test the bug-fixes!)

EDIT: So many ninjas.

EDIT 2: Oops, forgot - congratulations. Thanks to the whole GH team for making such a great game (and looking forward to the announcement of the next!)

Congratulations!! It's been so long seeing the game evolve with insights from both community and developer (which proposed some former initially disagreed with), I myself am extremely pleased as well. I can't even understand how those who followed the game even longer than me would feel :)

Congratulations, and a huge thanks to everyone at Goldhawk!

I'm extremely impressed with the game. I have already played an embarrassing amount of hours, and can only say that the game is very well done. I love X-Com, and I had almost lost hope of seeing a good remake. Xenocide was promising but ended development, UFO:AI is a decent game but doesn't quite feel like X-Com, other games have other flaws. But Goldhawk has managed the almost impossible and produced a game that truly feels like X-Com, that does many things better than 20 years ago, and that simply recaptures the original feel.

Thanks Goldhawk!

i'm so excited! i'm so happy that this long road has finally reached the end!

i hope the game will sell shitons of copies, so you guys can take the earned success of this great game.

thanks for building this game for us, i can't describe more how i'm feeling right now regarding this.

I have some Questions:

-Chris say no further Features, means that you dont plan to add PSI Skills for Xenonauts like in the old UFO and the X-Com Ufo from Firaxis? Thats lame. This was a nice Feature bevor so muuuuch jears and you cant implement it in a game, now, dozens of jears later? lol

-Whats with the Special Bases (not the normal bases, was a new Feature in UFO Terror from the Deep) Ok thats not realy important. I have forgot the reason of this bases. Was some hard to find Artifactical Special bases, very rare.

-Do you Plan add other languages as Standard?

-Is the Final Mission now complete (more then a Victory Screen) in the Old Ufo after killing the "Boss" you get around 10 Pictures with Text (you Speak with the Alien Mind that offers you something, he tells you that he was the creator of the old Pyramids etc...yeah lame^^ but i like it^^and Bam you kill the Alien Mind...) btw the Final Mission is a bit booring, only few Huge rooms filled with Aliens? After all the work to come so far i hoped for something Special.

-Hopefully no further savegame breaks?!? I thought its Standard after a realese Build that Patchs dont breaks a savegame (or missunderstud i something?)

-What is with different Alien Classes? In the old UFO you can capture:

Doctors, engineers, scientists, and technicians I hope I have not forgotten.

From doctors we have a by random: get Autopsy or information about a survivor Alien, also info about the food, medicine, the aliens (which was mostly "technology" which served only the atmosphere and no purpose fulfilled) There was a handful of technologies an insight into the culture of the aliens and their way of life was. Alien Entertainment, food, etc. ..

From engineers you got info about the UFOs

From technicians about the inner workings of UFOs (drive etc) and by the robots of the aliens

Scientists, which I have unfortunately forgotten, were probably technologies.

Most of those were just the information simply enriches only the Ufopedia to nice stories, but sometimes something useful.

That's what I sometimes miss most, it just was fun to dive deeper into the culture of the aliens.

After all the criticism. Class work, I like your game. I have not had occasion the "new" terrorist missions to test (which for me was always the stumbling stone) but otherwise your game the best UFO successor by far. No unnecessary exaggerated 3d graphics, no lame stripped down version (at least almost ^ ^) and I LOVE the Ufopedia. The story is cool, powerful alien leader prevail over the entire galaxies.

It still lacks a bit of oomph, then it would be perfect. I hope that will come. A UFO without more background (eg culture Technology more Story Elements and nice Pictures for the Ufopedia for more deep Ambience) and PSI soldiers, different alien classes etc. .. would just be missing something.

Nevertheless Good work and congratulations on the realese. SEMPER FI!

This makes me almost cry. :') Thank you and congratulations Chris, Aaron, Giovanni, Gijs-Jan, the whole crew!

I've been a gamer for more than 30 years, played hundreds and hundreds of games on dozens of platforms, made three games of my own, been a game reviewer on three different gaming sites, modded who knows how many games, mapped for years, and I can say from the bottom of my heart: having been a part of this journey has been one of the greatest experiments I've had as a gamer.

The game is great: I've already put almost 300 hours on it, even when I've restricted myself from advancing beyond corvettes before the game is ready, but it's not the reason - It's all you people. The team, the core community, this forum. It's a beautiful thing, and I really hope we stick together in the future to see what GH has in store for us next.

I love you all! :)

Edited by Skitso

The game looks fantastic. Minor gripe, but why does the shotgun hold 12 rounds? The one pictured on steam looks like either a mossberg or remington, so it will hold 7-8 rounds in the tube, plus one in the chamber.

Can't wait to play it.

Edited by cleft_asunder

I was playing earlier today (Iron Man, if it matters). Quit out, came back from dinner, and my save game is gone - looks like Steam updated the game with this build in between. Is it expected that this final release breaks saved games from the immediately prior version?

EDIT: Actually, if the 1.0 is still only on experimental, I guess I'm running the RC build still? I was getting the Steam trading cards throughout the day today but my save game only poofed in the last 2 hours.

Congratulations!

Watching how this game develops over time has led me to understand just how much hard work game develop actually is, understanding that no previous occasional modding experience and reading of random devlogs managed to provide.

So thanks for the good game and for the interesting journey.

Congratulations to Goldhawk!

Speaking as one of the people who's been following the development of Xenonauts from a distance, checking in every now and again, I just want to emphasize how amazed I am at how much the game has evolved and improved over the course of development. Not once did I ever load up Xenonauts over the course of the past months did I load up the game and fail to be impressed by something new or improved. You've put your all into creating something truly great here, and I for one can see that in the quality of your work, commitment to the project, and the excellent community of people you've gathered here.

All the best to you, and good luck with the release! I'm off now to give it a whirl!