v9.0 Shotguns not doing correct (enough) damage

A shotgun at close range should be way more deadly than any normal rifle. Only a Barrett .50 Cal sniper rifle would be close. Every pellet of 00 buckshot has about hitting power of a 9mm round and there are nine of them in single 12 GA shell. Its like unloading a whole pistol clip instantly on the target.

As far as I was aware, the Xenonaut shotguns are firing slugs not shot, and shotgun slug rounds are a helluva powerful over a long range (just not that accurate).

This is one hell of a necro'd thread, but anyways. The shotgun as it stands:

Does as much damage as a machinegun bullet (40pts)

Has the highest armour penetration of all ballistic weapons (20pts)

Has a higher reaction fire modifer than most other weapons (1.6 modifier)

Is cheap to shoot (17 snap, 19 normal)

Job done.

This is one hell of a necro'd thread, but anyways. The shotgun as it stands:

Does as much damage as a machinegun bullet (40pts)

Has the highest armour penetration of all ballistic weapons (20pts)

Has a higher reaction fire modifer than most other weapons (1.6 modifier)

Is cheap to shoot (17 snap, 19 normal)

Job done.

I disagree on the damage numbers. The damage should be higher than a machinegun, but the penetration should be much lower. There isn't much point in using slugs in the shotgun when high-powered rifles are available. It's a much better close range weapon with buckshot loaded.

I disagree on the damage numbers. The damage should be higher than a machinegun, but the penetration should be much lower.
You are assuming buckshot here right?
There isn't much point in using slugs in the shotgun when high-powered rifles are available. It's a much better close range weapon with buckshot loaded.
Except that the slug is chosen so that people doesn't whine about unrealistic in game representation of buckshot (cone spread of buckshot was unreasonable as I understood it)

I assume there's also the higher tiers to consider. It's not just buckshot vs slug for the shotgun but for all the weapons in that role (I think).

Anyway It's just a preference you have and there are most likely going to be people on both sides whining about the other option.

You are assuming buckshot here right? Except that the slug is chosen so that people doesn't whine about unrealistic in game representation of buckshot (cone spread of buckshot was unreasonable as I understood it)

I assume there's also the higher tiers to consider. It's not just buckshot vs slug for the shotgun but for all the weapons in that role (I think).

Anyway It's just a preference you have and there are most likely going to be people on both sides whining about the other option.

Maybe. But what's the point of even having a shotgun in the game if your going to use like a rifle? The only advantage they have is excellent close combat damage when loaded with shot and less chance of over penetration killing civilians. That's why the police use them instead of rifles. Really they ought to lose effectiveness very quickly past about 40 yards, but be devastating with 10 yards. As far as firing rate its no better than a rifle.

The shotgun is there to reserve the role for the carbines in the later tech tiers as far as I can see.

I figure it was easier to fit the shotgun into that role than to find another iconic 70's weapon that worked well up close with reduced effectiveness at distance.

There are no higher tier shotguns so spending lots of time and effort on that weapon seems a little pointless.

Multiple or advanced ammo types has also been discussed and ruled out by the devs as they don't want the shotgun to be outside of the tier system.

A simple modification of the xml files to reduce the range and armour mitigation then increase the damage should be enough for you to test out your vision of the shotgun and see if it works the way you want it to.

Accuracy can be kept the same, the damage reduction outside of the optimal range should be enough encouragement to keep it within its role.

Yes, ofc they are. The game hasn't entered into the beta stage. Very little balancing has been done up to this point. If you can show your numbers are superior there is no reason not to use them. :D

Just keep in mind your opinion of superior and that of the devs or other forum members might differ;). My personal opinion is realism < game balance. (judging by the phrasing in your post #30 in this thread I have (prematurely) assumed that you consider realism > other factors. If I'm wrong please correct me :) )

Edited by Gorlom