MortuusSum

Old XCOM games

Hey folks. I noticed today that I have about 5 bucks kicking around on steam not doing anything, and that all the original XCOM games are $4.99. So, from my options:

• Terror from the Deep
  • Interceptor
  • UFO Defense
  • Enforcer
  • Apocalypse

Which should I buy? I ask because I have no idea of the relative quality of each of them, and the descriptions in the steam store are pretty vague. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Save your money and play Xenonauts instead? :P

More seriously, UFO Defense and TFTD are very similar but the latter is a lot harder. TFTD has a few interesting ideas and improvements, but these are countered by some exceptionally tedious missions (especially the ship terror missions. I once spent an hour and a half searching dozens of cabin rooms for the last alien on the map, no joke. The final mission is dire, too). So out of the two, I'd recommend UFO Defense.

Apocalypse I never quite got into - I like it, but the lack of proper fire-fights early on in preference for silly weapons kind of put me off. I think things get better later on, but I never really stuck at it. Either way, although it's XCom themed it plays very differently to both Xenonauts and the earlier XCom games, so if you're looking for a similar style game but a different experience, I'd definitely recommend it.

Haven't played the others, since my understanding is that they're related to the XCOM series in name only and are a bit rubbish. But I might be wrong, as I've said I've not actually played them.

Alright. I wasn't certain about buying any of them, to be honest. Just saw that they were there, wanted to know if any were worth it.

Hmm, in that case my personal opinion is that Xenonauts has rendered both UFO Defense and TFTD obsolete. Its very similar to both, but Xenonauts for me is the better game and I don't know whether you'd get much out of either other games now.

Apocalypse might be worth while, though, as its quite different and has some cool concepts (if you can get past the brain-sucker alien guns and the suicide exploding aliens).

if you can get past the brain-sucker alien guns and the suicide exploding aliens

Oh god, the popper. I still hear that sound in my nightmares. Capturing a live one for research was fun...

More on topic, while appocalypse differs a lot from the original x-com, its still a great game. The balance is horrible broken though. Parts of it can be rage inducing hard if you are missing the right tech, but after you get to a certain point (research-wise) the difficulty drops to nothing.

XCom: Apoc is my favorite XCom game ever. It have so much cool stuff that any other XCom game never ever even tried to do similar. But it also have some serious flaws, too... like Early and Mid game are awesome, but late game is a repetitive alien bashing ritual. I think there is a mod for it that helps to rebalance stuff, but I never tried it by myself. It also plays substantially different from the two previous games so be advised that you may have to learn how to play once more.

Any XCom games seems cursed to have outstanding stuff, challenging gameplay, awful balance and repetitive missions. I think every XCom ever is like this. But to me... XCom: Apoc is the best mix and is by far the most complex one. Give it a shot!

By the way the popper is all right to me... but those brainsucker bazooka-like alien guns are very fucked up...

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

brainsucker bazooka-like alien guns

What the fuck

What the FUCK

These nopes are out of control

Oh, man, sorry, I have to hue about it.

UHEUehuHEUheuHEUehuHEUehuEHUheuHEUheuHEUheuH!!!!

That awful moment when aliens shot things at you that sucks your brain off!

I finished the first game and gave up on the second during a cruise ship mission.

Well have to give apocalypse a go after seeing all the accolades given here.

Oh if anyone's planning on another run of the first x-com game, hit up openxcom. Provides a much needed bug and interface fixes.

I love the first game but find TFTD is ruined by some tedious ground missions.

That is a pity because otherwise it does have some nice features and slight improvements over the original and the difficulty is ramped up nicely.

Both of these games can be great fun to play and are worth picking up eventually if you are fan of the genre.

Both of them are fairly basic turn based squad games with dated graphics and barely visible UI but they both have so much immersion somehow.

Apocalypse also has some really interesting features and improvements balanced out by some quite annoying flaws.

I think the fun definitely wins out if you don't mind the 50's retro vibe to the human artwork and the vaguely excretion based alien artwork.

It has much more advanced vehicle customisation, a choice between real time or turn based play, more control over soldier equipment, more meaningful diplomacy and so on.

It does suffer a little from only being based in a single city but once you get into the game you see why it would struggle to work on a larger scale so it does make sense.

Enforcer was not a good game when it was released and has dated badly.

I would avoid picking that up unless you really just want to experience it, you will play it once for a few minutes and then forget about it.

Interceptor had promise but was not very well made.

If it was not an x-com universe game I would have only played it for five minutes but I dragged it out to 15.

I have no intention of trying to get it to work again though.

Overall I would definitely recommend the original, maybe with a few mods added in or consider openxcom.

I would also recommend apocalypse if you want to try something a little different but with a similar feel.

If you just want to try a squad based game I can also suggest Jagged Alliance 2 with the right mods and settings.

It has a very different feel and play style to the x-com games but is also a great turn based squad tactic game.

I finished the first game and gave up on the second during a cruise ship mission.

Well have to give apocalypse a go after seeing all the accolades given here.

Oh if anyone's planning on another run of the first x-com game, hit up openxcom. Provides a much needed bug and interface fixes.

Oh, man! I didn't know about openxcom! That really looks interesting!

Loved XCom Apocalypse. You fight in buildings which "look" somewhat more realistic than in the other games, and have some great physics stuff. I mean collapsing buildings are one thing, but burning ammo can also hit the carpet and then start a fire...that was pretty cool.

Also liked the city and how the corporations got infiltrated by aliens. So if I remember right you don't just fight aliens but also alien lovers.

Was a pretty good mix.

UFO: Enemy Unknown (the real one) is fun

X-COM: Terror from the Deep is fun and makes you cry (its so damn hard, and you should patch it with the soundtrack from the playstation version)

X-COM: Apocalypse is fun and my personal favourite

X-COM: Interceptor its fun but feels very unfinished (also you cant get it run on Windows, even with some tricks there is a problem that brakes the game)

X-COM: Enforcer its more a parody of xcom, not brilliant but fun to play if you want to brainless shoot an things.

Xcomutil is your best friend for xcom. It not only patches the game but also can optionally mod some aspects that people felt were weak.

Apoc is my favorite but I'm a sucker for lost causes

The first three are all good. Even though the second one has a few bugs, and some of the missions are tedious, I think that it was a better game than the first one. I disable all mind control in both games, because I think it ruins the game.

Apocalypse was okay, but as soon as you get all of the research items, the game just becomes stupidly simple. Also, the aliens look like they belong in a puppet show.

Interceptor was a neat idea, but I didn't play much of it because the battles were boring due to the lack of terrain. Neat music though.

Enforcer was just a generic shooter and nothing special.

I would play OpenXcom first for obvious reasons and maybe try Apocalypse too. Apocalypse has a ton of neat ideas, unfortunately they were not all completely implemented, especially the different factions. Aliens look like a joke and end game gets really boring, I probably never finished the game. What it has is brilliant environmental destruction, you could collapse buildings or set them to fire. There's no reason to use doors in that game. And I'm a heretic for saying this, but the option to play real-time battles instead of turn-based was done very well. The short and violent firefights that happened on real-time mode made collateral damage a very real thing, not just something that the player chooses to do.

Another vote for Apocalypse, including the option to mix real-time and TBS. Out of all the X-Com's, that was the most memorable for me.

There's even some mods for it - Karadoc's rebalanced the game and makes it harder, and one that even lets you play as the police after X-Com has failed :)

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/x-com-apocalypse/mods/

If you just want to try a squad based game I can also suggest Jagged Alliance 2 with the right mods and settings. It has a very different feel and play style to the x-com games but is also a great turn based squad tactic game.
Do they have a alien mod for JA2? Either way, JA2 is hands down the squad tactical game I've ever played.

UFO defence is still the best by a country mile. TFTD as a variation of that is fine, but I enjoyed Apocalypse much more.

Ah, the first brainsucker. Oh it's miles away. I'll wait and see what it...oh it's eaten his brain...

UFO defence is still the best by a country mile.

Exactly. The first game is THE game that everybody else has been trying to copy/improve for 20 years now. That alone should say it all

Apoc was fun, though it initially seems more constricted (you play in a mega-city instead of the globe). TFTD is my second favourite, then UFO: EU.

The horrific part is when you meet the brain suckers and those things that explode and let out several worms. The horror! I've had many a mission go pear-shaped and down a clogged sewage pipe because of those bastards...

UFO enemy unknown has the best 'atmosphere'. The music and graphics are perfectly taylored to the game.

Apocalypse has some very interesting mechanics. Mainly the many different organizations present in the game who all have their own buildings, forces and backstories. The graphics are a bit off though. The blue brainsucker launching aliens (Anthropods) look damn right weird

I would not revisit any of the other games.

I give my vote to the original XCom. I did not like the atmosphere in the other 2 'true' XCom's like the first one. And the XCom Reboot from Firaxis, not classic XCom but it's actually quite fun and worth grabbing on sale for sure.

Ufo Defence is the best one in my opinion.

Other than that, I actually like X-Com interceptor a lot too, but I don't know how it has held up through time.

I vote for x-com Apocalypse. Very detailed, realistic environment and economics. No problem of "last alien". Great variaty of weapons and tactics. And real-time combat brings dynamism to game!