V22 Experimental 10 Released! (including save games)

As I've said numerous times, development of the game will end this weekend except for game-breaking bugs.

Release isn't for another two weeks after that, thus if there are game-breaking bugs in the game they will no doubt get reported and fixed before the proper public release.

Well, I'm aware of that; that's not what makes me worry. It's the small annoyances, the things that won't break the game, but have the potential to make it less enjoyable. Stuff that's doesn't seem important enough to be fixed before release, but will leave a bad impression with new players. Stuff that would otherwise go into a post-release patch.

I know you probably can't afford it, especially so if the game shouldn't sell as well as expected, but official support for about half a year would be better than relying on the modding community to clear things up.

Well, that's early on. I go for Lasers first now, and then upon researching lasers there aren't enough alloys to build 8 weapons immediately even if I've done every UFO. Can't really comment on mid-late game resources for the build.

Then it also helps that I've been playing with kabill's UFO mod that made UFO assaults more difficult - I've had more situations where I lose or have to abort.

Well, that's early on. I go for Lasers first now, and then upon researching lasers there aren't enough alloys to build 8 weapons immediately even if I've done every UFO. Can't really comment on mid-late game resources for the build.

Then it also helps that I've been playing with kabill's UFO mod that made UFO assaults more difficult - I've had more situations where I lose or have to abort.

Personally, I've found doing 1-2 crash sites per wave gives pretty much precisely enough resources to carry you through the game. There's not really any excess, but that's fine: if I needed more, I could do more crash sites. In that respect, I think the game balance is as good as it could be.

We just need to help to make this game so damn successful, that Goldhawk feels obliged to continue patching this game. ;)

Also while you (Chris) mentioned there won't be steam achievements I hope you don't forget to include steam cards. It's not just cool to have these cards, it's also little efford and generates additional revenue as each trade of such a card gives you a penny or two.

Personally, I've found doing 1-2 crash sites per wave gives pretty much precisely enough resources to carry you through the game. There's not really any excess, but that's fine: if I needed more, I could do more crash sites. In that respect, I think the game balance is as good as it could be.

If 1-2 crash sites per wave can get you cruising with up-to-date equipment in terms of alien resources I wouldn't call it balanced, to be honest. It's very unlikely you'd experience any persistent shortages of those resources which lowers the odds a bit and deprives you of the scavenger war to keep toe to toe with the invaders feel. Though maybe I'm a minority on that particular point.

Depends. The intent - by my understanding anyway - was to ensure that you don't have to grind for resources. In so far as that's the case, I think the balance is fine at the moment.

There's a perfectly good argument to be made for a game where resources are tighter, I think, but I wouldn't say it would make for a better game so much as a different one. Accessibility wise, I think the current system is fine, but I'd more than happily look at variants that have a more stringent economy. (Maybe I'll make one myself!)

(EDIT: Also, I play a fairly minimalist game. I imagine it would be difficult to play the number of missions I do and equip a second squad or have backups or whatever.)

EDIT 2: @Koranor - that's a good point.

You also always have to take into consideration that saving+loading can screw any balance.

Playing on ironman mustn't require that you aren't allowed to do any mistakes at all.

I agree you are making a good point. Even then perhaps ironman shouldn't determine the entire resource balance of the game. After all I'm not saying you should be on your toes 'cause if you fail a mission, you'd never go up in technology. I'd just like to point out if you do clear the crash sites in a semi-regular basis you'd end up with hundreds of resources stashed around midgame or even earlier which makes them irrelevant. I just thought it could be at least a little more challenging than that and as I haven't seen this properly discussed I raised it. If the general consensus is there's nothing to be discussed - I'm fine with it. Like kabill says it's something that could probably be moded in anyway.

Kevin - it's a bit confusing for you to be weighing into the balance discussions if your experience is coming from V21 Stable, which has dramatically different balance from the current version. The alloys drop rate was much, much higher back then.

That was the answer I needed to hear, Chris - thank you. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm getting in the way, I'm just trying to raise points I haven't seen discussed and the moment they are exhausted or ruled irrelevant, I'm more than happy to back down from the topic. If you wish me not to feel free to say so and I'll restrain myself.

That was the answer I needed to hear, Chris - thank you. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm getting in the way, I'm just trying to raise points I haven't seen discussed and the moment they are exhausted or ruled irrelevant, I'm more than happy to back down from the topic. If you wish me not to feel free to say so and I'll restrain myself.
You should just switch to the latest experimental build. It's vastly better than v21.

You should just switch to the latest experimental build. It's vastly better than v21.

I've managed not to spoil myself for over a month, not going to do that just before release :) Plus I'm far into my veteran save, I intend to complete it just in time for the official game.

EDIT: as for the end - I've already been through it once so the ending won't spoil it any further; the same could not be said for the experimental builds which will largely constitute something very close to the release game.

Edited by KevinHann

I've managed not to spoil myself for over a month, not going to do that just before release :) Plus I'm far into my veteran save, I intend to complete it just in time for the official game.
Wouldn't you rather save the end of the game for the offical release? I'm not going to play the last mission until the game is out.

Three things I noticed right off the bat:

1) The TU and accuracy specs for grenades are finally being shown again- woohoo!

2) When my rookies got promoted to corporals, they did not get the previously large across-the-board stat boost. Particularly noticeable was no bravery boost, and TUs +1 or +2 instead of the formerly common +4. Have I missed a post about this? Was this a deliberate change?

3) I shot down a light scout on day 2, launched my Charlie, and halfway to the crash site detected a fighter. This fighter beelined for my hapless dropship and destroyed it, killing almost everybody aboard. Are fighters supposed to appear immediately like this???

Edited by dpelectric

OK, so on the last update there was a fix using a hex editor that allowed you to carry on playing from saved games that were broken from previous releases. Does anyone know if that will work again, and if so, what I need to change? I was totally at the endgame!!!

OK, so on the last update there was a fix using a hex editor that allowed you to carry on playing from saved games that were broken from previous releases. Does anyone know if that will work again, and if so, what I need to change? I was totally at the endgame!!!

It's exactly the same, just continue in the alphabet.

Bit late now given its almost final release but you might find this handy for any other steam beta your in.

Xenonauts>Properties>updates>Do Not Automatically Update This Game

When an update occurs a little "update required" message appears next to the game, but you can play it fine without updating. This most likely wont work for any multiplayer server type games tho.

...that means is that we'll run out of money and I'll end up living in a box and eating my shoes.

I'm selfish enough to prefer a perfect game at your expense. However, I am not entirely without compassion and am therefore willing to donate some duct tape for waterproofing and steak sauce for flavor.

I'm selfish enough to prefer a perfect game at your expense. However, I am not entirely without compassion and am therefore willing to donate some duct tape for waterproofing and steak sauce for flavor.

Now that's an inspiring first post, the very reason indie developers get in the industry in the first place :)