How is the AI

The title says it all...how's the AI in general in the current version (and I guess it will now not change a lot until the final release)...perhaps comparing it to the original game and also to fireaxis's version?

Thx.

I'm really enjoying the AI in Xenonauts. It's nicely varied and sufficiently challenging. It could be a lot smarter, for sure, but I'm not sure I've ever played a game where that couldn't be said. (Maybe with the exception of chess games? But then I suck at chess!)

My single complaint is the occasional AI freeze. It's pretty much the only thing that I'm really hoping gets fixed before release. (Maybe another pass over LoF too...).

I am not familiar with the related files, but the AI can be modded, right? So perhaps we could see some even more challenging aliens after the release?

It can be modded on basis.Meaning that what we can do is limited (some AI behaviors are hard coded and we can't do anything about it without proper tools which GJ is using or source code).

So "proper tools" could in theory allow modders to mess with the AI even without access to the source code?

What Sentelin was saying, very basically, is that parts of the AI code resides in the executable. The executable being what you get when you compile the source code. Modifying the executable directly is possible in theory, but only in theory. It is not feasible in practice.

So if you want to modify the parts of the AI that live in the executable, you do need the source code. You can then modify the source code and re-compile it, netting yourself a new executable to replace the one that came with the game.

It's not feasible as in it takes a lot of expertise, or a lot of effort?

Not feasible as in: you can decompile the executable, but most or all of the product will be incomprehensible. Basically, it would be easier to write a new game and just use the sound and graphics assets from Xenonauts.

But having cast a brief glance at the aiprops.xml there's a fair bit of stuff you can change. Not only that, the file is fully commentated and xml is dead simple. So have at it, KevinHann :)

Ok if the AI is better than in the original game, than it is fine for me :)

Well, it's a lot better than in OG. Firaxis's game didn't even have any AI. ;)

You mean they're cheating ? ;)....I've thought Fireaxis's game won an AI award ?

No, I mean they just stand and wait till a player "activates" them, and then they get a free turn to move in cover. Compared to Xenonauts, where AI actively search you, flank, fall back, group up and camps in safe places... it's fair to say that Firaxis one doesn't have any AI.