Fire in the Hole! - Destructible UFO Hulls and Dynamic UFO Assaults

kabill

Thanks for the screenshots. It's not quite what I thought was happening (I thought the map wasn't revealing at all until you were inside), but that's equally strange.

Couple more questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is this common? Does it happen all the time, or only sometimes?

2) have you seen it happen with any other UFOs?

3) What version of the game are you running?

Honestly, I don't have any ideas why that's happening. I've done a couple of landing ships now and not had that problem; I also didn't encounter it in any of my pre-release tests. So it's clearly not a general issue. But then, I've run into other odd LoS issues which don't seem to happen all the time with no clear explanation for them.

If it happens again, and you have the means and care to do so, would you mind uploading a save for me to have a look at? I don't know whether it will help, but in the absence of my own example to play around with, it might be worth a look.

(EDIT: Yes, it's one of my random maps. I've done landing ships on them myself, though, so I shouldn't have thought it's that).

There's a few problems with the landing ships, as stated before. The only change in those 2 screenshots is the height level. I'm playing with the latest version, by the way.

z8j33Ph.jpg

E6e1HTi.jpg

Also, you can't see the second floor from the first and viceversa, but you are able to shoot (the aliens can see our troops in the first floor, however. I've been massacred a few times because I wasn't able to see them).

Edited by Akrakorn

Just to confirm I'm reading the picture right: you have both vision and LoF from the bottom level to the top level?

If so, that's pretty much what I've had happen before. I'll have a look on that specific submap to see if I can find the problem, but can I ask whether you're getting this often?

Just to confirm I'm reading the picture right: you have both vision and LoF from the bottom level to the top level?

If so, that's pretty much what I've had happen before. I'll have a look on that specific submap to see if I can find the problem, but can I ask whether you're getting this often?

I don't know, this was my first landing ship (heck, I still haven't finished the bloody battle).

There's another minor problem which I recorded. Every time I walk around in the second floor, the view "shifts" and I see the hull of the UFO.

[video=youtube;j_ZhtmMxVfs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ZhtmMxVfs

Yeah, that's *exactly* the same problem that I was having.

I've just checked the submap, and I can't find any reason why it should be behaving oddly. I'm going to load up a game and check that particular map (the picture was very helpful for identifying it, thank you!) to see if it's a consistent issue on that map.

Well, I just tried out that particular UFO map, and it worked fine. No issues at all. So it's not something specific to a particular UFO map.

I'm going to try a test on all of them, but I'm wondering whether this isn't a vanilla issue which just happens to come through occasionally using this mod. I've no other explanation for it!

Out of wonder, what version of the game are you running?

EDIT: Also, any other mods?

Edited by kabill

No, the pack hasn't been updated, although there's only some minor differences (e.g. base costs haven't been reduced). There certainly shouldn't be any major incompatibility issues from v1.0 onward.

I was mainly just wondering whether, if you were using an older version, there'd been something which had changed since then (I ran my test before on 1.02hf, but I think the time I saw this issue it was still v1.01).

Honestly don't know. I guess it's possible that there's something happening during the mission that's causing it that's not being picked up by my quick tests (I'm using the GC editor to dash to the UFO). I thought for a minute it might be related to race (something weird going on with the Andron's walk-through-walls ability), but I *think* when I had this happen myself it was with Sebillians.

Sadly, I'm kind of at a loss about what to do about it. Since I can't reproduce it reliably, I don't even know where to start looking for a fix. There's nothing obvious wrong: the floor tiles are in place correctly and I've not accidentally made any of them destructible. The flickering hull thing is just as strange. It's almost like the UFO submap isn't loading properly, or something.

Hmm, thought: if you've still got the game, could I get you to try walking over the tile which you could shoot through in the first image above. I'm wondering whether there's a connection between the two issues.

Sorry for the bump, but I totally forgot to mention this.

I'm also using the optional patches for the doors. The file Open Doors - Exterior actually contains two folders: Exterior & Interior. The file Open Doors - Interior contains only one folder: Interior. Since there are 2 Interior parts and they overwrite the same files, I only installed the Exterior part of the file Open Doors - Exterior and the Interior part of the file Open Doors - Interior.

Perhaps it's somehow related?

I don't think so. I've had the issue without changing the doors, and they should just overwrite anyway so it shouldn't cause any issues. Nevertheless, useful to point out (and I'll need to fix the download at some point, too!)

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to give up on this problem for the time being. I've tried loading about 10 games now and all of them appear to be fine. Whatever's causing it, it's not just due to the maps: there must be something interacting with them in some way. But without more information, I don't really know what to do to narrow the problem down.

I'll add it as a known issue on the OP, though. If anyone else encounters this, any information you can provide about the mission could be useful to help identify the issue.

Update: I've updated the mod for compatibility with v1.03. I *think* you should be able to install it and carry on with your game as is, but I make no promises.

I've also made No Smoke; No Fire a patch rather than a full download, as it's easier for me to maintain and upload. It also means you can apply it to any of the combined mod-packs using Fire in the Hole, too.

Is that a save-game from a previous game version? I'm not sure why there should be any incompatibility issues in any case, but it's the only thing I can think of.

If it was an old version, do you get the same issue if you start a new game, save and load that?

(Hmm - just tried loading an old save of my own and it was fine. Confused).

What works:

Starting a new game with 1.03 and 1.03 version of FitH.

Loading the old savegame in 1.03 using 1.00 version of FitHLore+.

What does not:

Loading the old savegame after overwriting 1.00 FitHLore+ with 1.03 FitH.

Loading the old savegame after cleaning assets/.

Loading the old savegame after cleaning assets/ and installing 1.03 FitH.

Have you tried overwriting with FitHLore+ combined? I've updated that file too.

In fact, this is probably the problem. If you've updated from FitHLore+ with just FitH, it will overwrite various files (e.g. xenopedia) so it won't be able to find the Lore+ entries any more. So hopefully using the combined mod should sort the problem (fingers crossed!)