Just got the game, having a lot pf difficulty completing the first mission.

So I just got Xenonauts, having loved X-COM EU but wanting something with more depth. I picked this up and the first mission is kicking my ass. The aliens seem to come from nowhere and one shot my xenonauts from ridiculous ranges, while I have to line up 4-5 guys just to maybe get a hit. My snipers can't fire most turns because they don't have enough TU to poke out of cover in order to shoot without massive aim penalties, and a single burst from a plasma rifle can kill 3 guys. I cant figure out what I am missing tactics wise to make this playable.

Are you playing the vanilla version? If range/line of sight are a problem, are you playing your first mission during a night? It makes a massive difference and you might want to try daytime combat instead. Also you might want to try some tactical diversity and not cluster your soldiers in large numbers.

What kind of Squad makeup are you using? Also the first few mission are challenging b/c your guys are complete newbs :)

I use 1 shield, 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, 1 sniper, 1 lmg, and 1 rocket. Make sure you are using cover and smoke grenades. Dont leave anyone in the open. Try giving whomever has the most TUs the shotgun so you can get a good flank in. Are you having trouble fighting aliens in the open or in the UFO? For UFOs the best approach i have found is to line up several tiles away and use C4 to blow the door off its damn hinges :)

Also dont expend all of your TUs in a turn. Sometimes you may even prefer to setup a good position and let some turn pass to see if you can ambush something. You have no time limit, so go slow, take covers, use support weapons (machinegun, sniper) to cover other soldiers advance from far away, try to leave enough TUs left to do some reaction shots. Shields are also good but they are far from perfect.

AND DONT CLUSTER YOUR SOLDIERS!!! It will be easy kill for the aliens since their chance to hit something with burst are bigger! Also work your distance from the aliens. 30 TUs from a single soldier in a reaction shot at close range may be not enough from preventing the alien to take the damage and still kills the soldier.

The best things to assaults is the flash bang and smoke. Abuse of it. Flashbang makes the alien go suppresed, preventing him from shoting you back at your turn and limiting the amount of actions he can take is his turn. Smoke blocks their line of sight and will help you against well covered aliens on the other side of an open field. And at night... flares. Flares everywhere. Flares are infinite so throw it everywhere! Never advance in the dark!

My initial squad build is 1 sniper, 1 assault, 1 heavymachinegun, 1 shield, 2 rifle/rockteers and 2 riflemen.

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Xenonauts is not the arcade XCOM:EU is, huh :) ?

- Go to youtube and search for xenonauts, that should find you a couple of walkthroughs/letsplays. Some of them will be for older versions (so difficulty or some features may be different) and some of them use rather ridiculous tactics (so they won't work on higher difficulties or with the latest version), but they should give you some ideas (it wouldn't be a long walkthrough if the player was really bad at it).

- Read the assets/gcloading_tips.xml file in the Xenonauts directory , those are the tips shown during ground combat loading, some of them are quite useful.

- Since you mention poking out of cover, you don't need to leave (half)cover, crouch e.g. behind a small rock and fire over it.

Another thing that has not been suggested yet - look at your soldiers stats and equip them to their strengths.

I.e. machinegun is heavy, soldiers without sufficient strength will have less accuracy and room to move with it. Assaults and scouts need good health and tu's to be able to move closer to aliens and live past accidental reaction shots. Grenadiers need strength to throw grenades further, etc.

Also you can rearrange soldier position in the dropship - move scouts/assaults/riflemen closer to exits so they can freely move first. This can save a few tu's at mission beginning. May be not really necessary for several first missions, but later at times will be really helpful.

Speaking about characters stats...

I started to prefer strong characters and high reflexes more than just accuracy and TUs (my initial choose). As soon you start to get best guns and armor, it can easily overload a weak soldier. I play a considerable part of the game trying to ambush the aliens or score kill in their turn, so high reflexes are preferable since it will makes the soldiers have reaction shots more easily.

The few exceptions are the sniper (pure accuracy) and shield (I prefer high health). The assault may need high TUs, true, but he also need great reflexes, so he will be able to kill an undamaged alien at close range only with reaction fire.

TU: Running around.

Acc: Shooting at things within (x1.5?) weapon range.

Str: Running around with 80% or more of a soldier's weight used.

Ref: Reaction shooting.

HP: Getting other stat increases (something like +1 HP for +5 other stats, I think).

Brav: Getting panicked.

That's all of them isn't it?

HP: Getting other stat increases (something like +1 HP for +5 other stats, I think).

x1.5 as in shooting at things out of range, or within that limit? I'd have never ever guessed the HP one...

Seriously? Bravery can be raised by getting panicked?!

*Ponders a safe way to get his team to panic*

Whoah, neve new that in those details. That's why most of my soldiers grow very strong... I almost ever have they carrying their limit.

If a high TU soldier has some extra weight (TU penalty) and you don't use heavy wepon and/or granades that much with him, he can work better then a hight Str soldier (with no TU penalty) but low TU. Besides, the low Str guy will rise his Str because of the extra weight, so it will become a high TU + high Str soldier soon. Better investment. I prefer Ref over Acc for frontline soldiers too. ;)

Edited by Alexandre Lange