Human tech upgrades ?

Heya :) Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but I recall one part of the original X-Com games I always enjoyed and found just a little underused was the non-x-com handled research and development of new weapons, vehicles, technology, that would become available to you as you played.

Would be nice to see such an addition so that once every while you get news about a new type of assault rifle that's now been finished, a new type of vehicle armor, a new missile ammunition type, or body armor, or something, that the world itself develops, along side the regular player-handled research. Perhaps even allow some sort of input on the process, like donating some of your budget to support the research and make it happen faster.

Just an idea I was wondering if still had a presence in Xenonauts :) looking forward to it! Great to see the deal with Desura go through :)

You get new weapons and vehicles (and other things) by researching alien tech. Getting basically the same stuff, only earth based, would be redundant. Though I believe you'll be able to upgrade your "human vehicles" with alien weaponry like a laser cannon for the Hunter. At least until you research a new chassis.

Edited by Jean-Luc

What you mention poulwrist is something I don't recall ever happening in the original games. Apoc has something like that, but that was due to the market expanding (the manual refers to it as weapon imports).

But yes, anything that could be developed by non-player factions would be much inferior to what you can build. You can basically see it as you building all the great prototypes. You're a globally-funded military research group that also fights aliens!

Apoc's week-2 weapons weren't that interesting. Plasma swords maybe.

Just stole everything else off Orison in the first week.

Anyways, we start with 7 guns off the bat, with about that many for each tech tier (laser, plasma). Then there's the grenades and the shock batons, combat shields...

Edited by Sathra
clarification

Wasn't really a fan of the apoc equipment system (factions were cool idea but made it a bit too realistic, i'm more for all against the aliens :P).

Techs should be adaptations to battle aliens more effectively, some civilian manufactured junk won't really help out that much...