Strategy Guide/Walkthrough

Irishguy117: I'm almost speechless. I never expected anybody to take the kind of time you obviously did to give me such detailed input. Jeez, wow, thank you, I don't even know how to begin to respond to all your comments and suggestions. All I can say is that I'm on vacation next week, and starting some time this weekend I'm going to systematically go through each one of your points (and there are many good ones) and try to incorporate them into the guide.

I'd like to say that my original intention was to generate a strategy document of the type you seem to be envisioning. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted to have links to all the great mods, maps, tech trees, etc. on this forum, and wanted it to be sort of a community effort. I didn't find out until after hours and hours of writing and revising that you can't insert external links into gamefaq documents, which frustrates the hell out of me. For example, one of your suggestions was to cover manual air combat in more detail, which I could do, but never as well as Dranak, and never as effectively as a video can.

If anybody knows of a game guide site that will let you add external links, and that I can import almost 1M of data into, I'll drop gamefaqs in a split second!

EDIT: And yes, there are parts of the guide that contain my opinions, and opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. I started off on my first draft trying to stay absolutely neutral and absolutely objective, but the thing was that when I went back and read it, it struck me as being too dry, too factual, and too wishy-washy. I began to doubt the utility of writing a guide that gives little to no advice, just stating over and over again "here's choice A, B, and C; here's choice A, B, and C; here's..." So I went more subjective, with frequent qualifiers stating "this is just my opinion". I think the qualified subjectivity makes for more entertaining reading, even if it does leave me open to knowledgeable readers thinking that I'm biased

Edited by dpelectric

Stellar: Thanks yet again :)

In reply:

I did briefly mention, in passing, some of the differences in difficulty levels, as well as a short warning that it's prob not a good idea to try veteran or insane the first time through. If you think the difficulties need more emphasis and explanation, then by all means I'll write more about it

Yes, I don't have anything about landed vs crashed UFOs. That definitely needs to be added too

I deliberately left the section about squad tactics vague, as this is a highly controversial area and I by no means think that my approach, or ANYBODY'S approach, can be in any way deemed superior to another.

I didn't see the bit about reaction fire, but I probably missed that as I don't think well early in the morning. As to the squad tactics/battle prep: Well, yes, there is a lot of style involved, but I'm sure you can agree that there are certain things that need to be done no matter what your style is. Remember, you are writing for the newbie mostly. A few things you might mention:

1. Don't scatter your troops all over the map where they can by picked off individually. Someone else should always be able to see your soldiers at the end of a turn. I'd say more than 10 tiles separation is starting to push things.

2. Make sure to take enough ammo. I'd say AT LEAST one extra magazine for the light weapons, 2 or more for the MGs and probably a minimum of three spare rockets for the rocket launcher.

3. A few soldiers with medkits, no?

4. Don't clump up your troops where there are known hostiles. This prevents a single burst, plasma cannon shot or alien grenade from wiping out half the squad.

5. The importance of scouting ahead carefully so you don't get caught in a cross fire or surprised by a Reaper, etc...

6. Finally, always ending your turn with your troops in cover or hidden from all known enemies.

460 hits today; 1757 in the nine days it's been posted. Even a few recommendations (and no, they weren't from me)!

Although some of this could be from spam bots, and surely many others who read one paragraph, laughed, and exited, I'd still like to believe that at least maybe a few people have found such scribblings useful, and the concept of writing a guide has been validated to some extent :)

Edited by dpelectric

Something that's been bothering me, though, is the fact that this guide is posted as "my" guide. While I did write I up (and continue to revise it) and some of the thought processes are my own, I still freely swiped any and all good ideas from others on this forum. I don't know where plagiarism begins and ends (is just rephrasing somebody else's words sufficient to claim them as your own?) or how to give credit where credit is due.

While I do mention the Goldhawk forum itself a number of times, I don't specifically list individuals as inspirations. Nor do I even know if that's possible, since I swiped everybody's ideas equally, and some of the ideas were composite blends of multiple posts by multiple people.

Does anybody know what (if any) protocol is applicable to this? Is just a general shout-out to the aggregate members of this forum acceptable, or should I list Max, Legit, Kabill, Stellar, Irishguy, etc., etc., in the "credits"? Or does nobody really even care...?

Just kidding, of course - it's nice you spent quite some time piling this up, it will certainly come handy to a lot of newbie players. I don't think anyone would hold a grudge for not being mentioned in a guide thank you list, it's not like pretty much everything in there isn't common sense once you get to know the game well. Of course if someone disagrees feel free to state it :)

@Dp - If you want to mention the "reviewers/contributors" that's fine, but I don't consider anything you've done plagiarism. If someone writes a book and in the process interviews a bunch of people and puts their thoughts and even their words in the book it's not plagiarism since it's original research. However, if someone copies that whole section out of YOUR book and puts it in theirs without giving you credit that is plagiarism.