V22 Experimental 8 Released!

This is an experimental build - to access it, please read the instructions / warnings in this thread.

This is a full-on update that, sadly, breaks save games. It is not the biggest update ever, but includes a fix to the accuracy formula that should make cover significantly more useful than it has been in the last couple of builds and then end of the alien "teleport" behaviour.

There's been a lot of balance changes recently thanks to this build and the previous two hotfixes, so people's thoughts on the current state of the balance would be appreciated.

CHANGES:

- The main menu screen now has some animation on it

- We have changed the shooting formula again: it is now taken from any part of the shooting tile to the centre of the target tile, rather than vice versa. This should make cover more effective.

- "Command" tiles are now active on UFO missions, so aliens will hold specific places in the UFO. This has not been rolled out to all UFOs, but some aliens should now hold the rear room of the Scout.

- If a category on the Workshop screen contains no buildable projects, it is now greyed out

- Removed unused Workshop categories

- The default base structure is now the radar, which is a 1-tile building

- Projectiles slowed down again slightly

- Vehicle projectiles now match speeds of infantry weapons

BALANCE:

- Foxtrot chassis has had autoresolve value increased from 0 to 200

- Aliens less likely to target civilians and friendly forces relative to Xenonauts

BUGFIXES:

- "Teleporting" aliens should no longer teleport

- There should be less being shot from beyond visual range. We've fixed an AI error and stopped dead aliens providing minor LOS to their team

- Invisible railcars in the Soviet tileset should once again be visible

- Psionic notifications no longer have a black border that made them very difficult to read

- Damaged Carrier UFO main door no longer appears closed when it is actually open

- Tooltips now appear for weapons on the Soldier Equip screen even if you have 0 of them in the stores

- You can no longer send an empty dropship on the final mission and CTD the game

Bugs we are working on:

- Fire cursor bug: the fire cursor is not appearing correctly at the moment. We've discovered this is caused by the tile atlases, but we're just trying to figure out why.

- Hidden Movement screen covers up actions: this is particularly nefarious for psionic powers and Xenonaut reaction fire. We've got save games for both and are looking into fixing them.

- Night time detection ranges: the "alien detected" icon appears when the aliens aren't visible on night missions, which we're looking into (along with other night mission LOS errors).

- There is always Josh Eales: Josh Eales will soon no longer appear in every single game. Enjoy him while you can.

If you have comments on the game balance, please put them in the threads below:

Ground Combat: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9972-Ground-Combat-Balance-V22-Experimental-8?p=110143#post110143

Geoscape: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9973-Geoscape-Balance-V22-Experimental-8?p=110144#post110144

Anything you can tell us about psionics changes/fixes that are in the works?

Currently all the changes we intend to make have been made, except for possibly making Mind Control troops unable to attack in the turn that they are Mind Controlled.

Currently all the changes we intend to make have been made, except for possibly making Mind Control troops unable to attack in the turn that they are Mind Controlled.
Thanks! That means that none of the possible changes discussed in the Alien Psionic Powers Discussion were implemented other than the ones you posted at the beginning plus making sure the LOS stuff was working correctly, right? Edited by StellarRat

Are all my saved games lost due to this upgrade? I had a GREAT game going on...

I managed to load the previous games by changing their header (older save files start with 'onexF', current starts with 'onexG'), seems to work fine so far.

Bugs we are working on:

- Fire cursor bug: the fire cursor is not appearing correctly at the moment. We've discovered this is caused by the tile atlases, but we're just trying to figure out why.

- Hidden Movement screen covers up actions: this is particularly nefarious for psionic powers and Xenonaut reaction fire. We've got save games for both and are looking into fixing them.

- Night time detection ranges: the "alien detected" icon appears when the aliens aren't visible on night missions, which we're looking into (along with other night mission LOS errors).

- There is always Josh Eales: Josh Eales will soon no longer appear in every single game. Enjoy him while you can.

Wait, what's with the vision bug were aliens were able to target your guys with psionics with no LOS.

Erm...

Is the startup screen supposed to look like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3683[/ATTACH]

Exiting and restarting does not fix.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say there's something wrong here.

And since I don't want to clutter the thread with useless posts, I'll give what advice my limited knowledge allows, and suggest using the "verify integrity of game cache" button on steam. That button has solved more problems than I've known I've had.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say there's something wrong here.

And since I don't want to clutter the thread with useless posts, I'll give what advice my limited knowledge allows, and suggest using the "verify integrity of game cache" button on steam. That button has solved more problems than I've known I've had.

This issue only appeared this patch, but I will try verifying the files on my computer.

- The default base structure is now the radar, which is a 1-tile building

What does this mean? I assumed it mean that the "command center" structure would be removed, or that a new base would have only a radar and the command center could be built later, but I just started building a second base and this is not the case.

What does this mean? I assumed it mean that the "command center" structure would be removed, or that a new base would have only a radar and the command center could be built later, but I just started building a second base and this is not the case.

I could be mistaken, but it seems that when you go to the over view of your base, the facility that is automatically selected is the radar, rather than the hanger as it used to be.