V22 Experimental 8 Released!

But the new system where the LoF is calculated from the shooters best corner to the middle of the target should give symmetrical results in a situation above and the caesan should have 0% change too. The system just isn't working as intended for some reason...

It won't give symmetrical results if the pathing algorism for the shot traces slightly differently going in different directions. That's (one of) the original problems: before any changes were made to the LoF system, sometimes a soldier could be shot at by an alien but not shoot back (or shoot without being able to be shot back at) when close to a corner. If in your example the alien at the bottom only just had LoF on your soldier, then a slight difference in the LoF algorithm going both ways could make the difference between being able to take a shot and not for the soldier.

Can't prove this without actually doing some testing, but the problem is consistent with the previous asymetrical line of fire issue before any changes were made to LoF calculations.

(To be clear, I'm not saying the system is working properly, I'm just suggesting a reason why it might not be).

I'm pretty sure the situation Skitso drew there should produce symmetrical lines of fire under the new system, with both units unable to shoot each other. You can shoot around corners, but not shoot at units that are shooting around corners. As both units there are behind a corner neither should be able to shoot.

@Chris: Yeah, that was my assumption too. So there's 2 bugs:

-First, when I was shooting, the LoF didn't update to show correctly which tile blocks the shot (you can see the misplaced small green square faintly above the red block 100% text when it should have been where the green line starts)

-and second, the caesan was able to shoot my unit even though it should have been out of it's LoF.

Edited by Skitso

I'm not sure if I like the new end of month screen. Everything is all squished up in a little narrow window which doesn't look right, I feel like it should take up more space on the screen. I also feel like the pretty artwork is wasted being all squished up in a tiny box in the middle, it looked better when it was full-screen as a background image. I also miss the diagram showing the continent's outlines and how their funding has changed at-a-glance, now its just a very plain list of figures.

@Chris: Yeah, that was my assumption too. So there's 2 bugs:

-First, when I was shooting, the LoF didn't update to show correctly which tile blocks the shot (you can see the misplaced small green square faintly above the red block 100% text when it should have been where the green line starts)

-and second, the caesan was able to shoot my unit even though it should have been out of it's LoF.

What I wrote about this above was utterly wrong, sorry. Just did some testing and I've posted the results in the bugs section.

@Chris, have you already solved the missing grenade cursor bug internally? I just realised I can get the cursor to show whenever I hover the cursor outside of the playing field. So maybe it's not tileatlas based bug afterall?

I'm not sure if I like the new end of month screen. Everything is all squished up in a little narrow window which doesn't look right, I feel like it should take up more space on the screen. I also feel like the pretty artwork is wasted being all squished up in a tiny box in the middle, it looked better when it was full-screen as a background image. I also miss the diagram showing the continent's outlines and how their funding has changed at-a-glance, now its just a very plain list of figures.

I agree with this. The old funding screen was much nicer and fit the game much better than the current one. Any chance of getting that changed back?

Perhaps the system should err on the cautious rather than the permissive. By that I mean if one party cannot draw a LOF, then neither party can rather than if one party can draw a LOF then both parties can.

I strongly agree with Max, on a permisive LOS system the AI find easy spots to fire and the player miss it completly.

The actual system is strong and take in comsoderation the cover in most of the situation.

About shot around corners vs shot around corner, what if you get a cover bonus and can fight in the corner?

I was really surprised that the HF got reverted, then reading through its thread and finding that people got crashes more often than the previous build really got me surprised. This had been the most stable build for me this time. Perhaps its because I'm on my laptop now? Is there any specific field people think we should be focusing our repeated-save-testing time now on this reverted build? This also seems to be quite stable for me.

A day late isn't so bad. But now that I'm done with my university classes for the rest of the summer and temporarily out of work, I have a lot of time on my hands that I wish to spend playing the crap out of xenonauts lol.

Edited by legit1337

A day late isn't so bad. But now that I'm done with my university classes for the rest of the summer and temporarily out of work, I have a lot of time on my hands that I wish to spend playing the crap out of xenonauts lol.

Yeah I know, I was just kidding :P. Really anxious to play a full 22.8 though since I've been mostly waiting with my 22.7 campaign.